Upgraded AA networks for sale

solarcarl

I'm selling a pair of AA crossovers that Dean had rebuilt about six months ago with Auricaps. They were a very apparent improvement to the sound quality of my La Scala's and I'd highly recommend the upgrade to anyone with original AA networks. There are two leads to choose from for lowering or raising the squawker by 3db( that in combination with a resistor ) Currently in the -3db position, which sounds great. . I'm selling them only because I am revamping the tweeters, squawkers, and adding bass reflex ports and will be running completely different ALK crossovers. I'm asking $220 for them, shipping included. Carl

post-17977-13819281702632_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I'll comment on those -- I spent a whole weekend on those. I sanded all of the rust off the autoformers and inductors, followed with steel wool, then taped them off and sprayed them down with clear enamel. Same with the bracket for the zeners. Terminal strip was cleaned with hot soapy water and a brass brush, and then wiped down with alcohol. I think I replaced the screws too. Labels were carefully removed from the old boards and tapped back into the new ones with brass brad nails. The primary caps are a 12uF Dayton metallized polypropylene paralled with a .47 Dayton film and tin foil. In the tweeter circuit there is a 2uF Kimber followed by a 2uF Theta. The inductor in the tweeter circuit is the original. I soldered a wire onto the #3 tap, and provided a 15 ohm swamping resistor so he could dial the squawker down.

I've only done three 'restorations', and this is one of them. There's probably $220 of my blood in those!

post-3205-13819281712906_thumb.jpg

Dean: thanks again for your hard work on those. I remember the caps self-destructed on the journey to you. I did do one addition to those. I eventually replaced the inductor with some of those Erse Super Qs that Parts Express sells after you made mention of them in some post. When I pulled the crossovers to sell them was when I finally installed the new inductors so I didnt even get to listen to them.Any feedback on the sound difference?

I'm getting ready to put some of Al's kits together and was glad to offer these back to the Klipsch community. Actually a guy is coming over tomorrow to get them( how easy is that) Carl

• 2 years later...

DeanG,

I also have a pair of La Scala with AA xovers. It is working ok, but I have read on the forum (or somewhere else on the net, can't remember) that your xovers are the best option for people using low wattage tube amplifiers. I use a Croft Cypher OTL amp, 7w per channel (1 x Cetron 6336B tube per channel) to drive the La Scalas. I have sent you a private message as well, but I have only recently joined the forum and may be the message has not gone through since I have had no reply.

Is it worth replacing the original AA xover even if they are in good working order? I am asking this because it has been my experience sometimes that in hi-fi some of the old equipment and components may continue to work better than new ones.

In any case, any advice very much appreciated.

Ciao

marco

What you've probably heard or read is that I think those who use low power amps and/or listen at low to moderate volumes are going to be best served by going with the old Klipsch Type A. It isn't my design -- I just rebuild it with premium parts.

No PM from you, but you can email me at dgwescott@sbcglobal.net

I just put a pair of Dean's networks in my LSBR's and WOW what a difference. I had some rebuilt AA's in there, but they weren't the best match with my 1983 K55M mid drivers. Roger was over and we noticed right away a better mid/tweet synergy and what appeared to be clearer sound all around, much more detailed and airy. Perhaps they were being too pushy in the mid with the mismatched AA's.

Thanks Dean! Your photos will be on the way to you this week.