wow, you guys rock...

DrWho

I'm not sure how many more are coming, but I came home this weekend to an insane amount of LP's and just wanted to make a public thank you to the guys...and I figured I'd list what showed up too - some great stuff in there [:D]

And I'm gonna list names so that I can correspond real names to your screen names - I have no clue who any of this is coming from, except thebes who left a cool note, lol.

So, from Thebes a box arrived with:

The Beatles - Abbey Road

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

Foreigner -

(no album title?)

BeeGees - 2 Years On

Blood Sweat and Tears -

(no album title? it had a cool blue "bad" sticker and catherine perry written in marker - not sure who she is)

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Rod Stewart - Never a Dull Moment

Derek and the Dominos - Layla

Rolling Stones - Made in the Shade

Rolling Stones - It's Only Rock and Roll

Leon Russell and the Shelter People -

(no album title?)

Led Zeppelin II

(hand written "lewis" on the top front right and a blue "poor" sticker on the back - what a pleasant reminder) [;)]

KC and the SUnshine Band

The Beatles - White Album

(pristine and signed by Paul? you sure you meant to send this? And who is Yoko?) [;)]

Traffic

(um yeah...so far the only one I've never heard of)

Santana

Thanks Marty!

Ok, from Larry Whaples:

(so who are you?)

Paul Lavalle and the Band of America - The BIG 18 All-Time Great Marches

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I love Rock-n-Roll

(ahhh, what a classic - and now I see why she was so popular) [;)]

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced

Def Leppard - Pyromania

(gotta love the front cover - I was expecting a spiderman movie album)

Joe Walsh - The smoker you drink, the player you get

Beach Boys - Endless Summer

John Denver - Some Days are Diamonds

(looks like a chick flick, lol)

The Clash - Combat Rock

Classical Music for People who Hate Classical Music

(haha nice) [:D]

Pat Benetar - Get Nervous

ZZTop - Eliminator

Thanks Larry!

And now from Larry Clare:

(ahhh, another larry...is this LarryC?)

The Christmas Story

Robter Schumann - Symphonie No.2 Manfred-Ouverture

Wilhelm Kempff - Klavierkonzert No.5 "Emperor" Concerto

Klaus Tennstedt - Schubert Symphony No. 9 "Great C-Major"

Richter/Muti - Beethoven Piano Concerto No.3 in C Minor

Hansel & Gretel

(2 LP set)

Handel Water Music

(finally one I recognize...one of my faves to perform too)

Vienna Philharmonic - Mendelssohn Symphony No.4 'Italian'

NBC Symphony - Schubert Symphony No. 9 "Great C-Major"

(NBC as in the television network?)

Anne-Sophie Mutter/Herbert von Karajan - Mendelssohn Bruch Violinkonzerte

Kremer/Maazel - Tschaikowsky Violinkonzert Serenade melancolique

(I love tschaikowsky - might have to yoink this one from her) [;)]

Soderstrom/Skoda - Schubert Goethe Lieder

Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra - Schubert Symphony No. 9 in C Major "The Great"

(I think somebody either once loved "No.9" or still does....) [:)]

Carols & Candlelight - Great Songs of Christmas

Bartok - The Six String Quartets - The Juilliard String Quartet

Giuseppe Tartini - 2 Concerti per Violino

Vienna Philharmonic - Mendelssohn Symphony No.4 'Italian'

(oops, 2 copies of it...I'll have to pass this one along to anyone interested)

English Chamber Orchestra - Mozart Piano Concertos Nos. 15 & 16

Wow, lot's of music I've never heard of and a few that I know I enjoy...the covers on all these were in very nice condition.

Thanks Larry!

And finally we have Lloyd Ferencik <edit> apparenly GaryMD buys LPs from Lloyd Ferncik at Mosaic records, lol. These are from Gary: <end edit>

Frank Sinatra - The Voice

Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!

Frank Sinatra - This is SInatra!

Frank Sinatra - We 3

Sinatra and Swingin Brass

Frank Sinatra - In the Wee Small Hours

very nice selection - she loves sinatra [H]

Thanks Lloyd!

So ya, that's 'all I got' for now...lol, you guys rock. Was this some sort of conspiracy to try and embarass me by making it impossible to carry everything? The next drink is on me! I really owe you guys big time. I have to say I am quite amazed at the selection too. It's very interesting to see the themes from each one of you guys.

Thanks again [:D]

Ah, I don't know who Lloyd is but the Sinatras were from me. I must have used a box I got from Mosaic.

OH WAIT!!! lol....I thought they came from you! I misred the return stamp that you had crossed off on the back....Catherine and Gary on the other side...haha, thanks

(time for a quick edit too)

Damn Who, you got someting to play dos on?

Didn't know you were collecting vinyl. I'll have to put a CARE package together for ya for next time ya come down.

Hey man, you won't even recognize yer room! Got it all cleaned up with a little mini Yammie/Klipsch system in there of yer very own. Shoulda had ya down this weekend, that other thing didn't work out so well.

I'll being going to Bloomington IL early next Tuesday, but have to scoot right back to Terre Haute for a bridal visit. It was the only way to work it, but could maybe stop by UI for lunch if you're free!

Michael

It was the only way to work it, but could maybe stop by UI for lunch if you're free!

I'm only free if you'll let me pay this time [:@][:P]

(lame pun, I know...but I'm serious too)

I'll have to meet you up at the Prospect exit...it's restraunt city and it won't be out of your way (I only have one class on Tuesday and it's a dumb TA session)

For those that don't know...the LP's are going to a friend of mine, Steph, who got a cool all in one LP player/speaker system. They have music parties on campus, but only have 3 lousy records to play over and over. I knew there was some kind of cheap LP train happenin on the forum and then bam, guys just started sending old stuff for free.

I have been tempted to yoink a few of the LP's and get my mom's old sanyo TT back up and running (just needs a needle I think), but I don't know the first thing about fixing them archaic things and I doubt I have the time for it. And the last thing I need right now is another money hole [:P]

So colter, I guess we'll just have to come up with some other excuse to hang out....I still need to cut that wood for me squaker. I was thinking of buying a few more slabs of wood while I'm up at my parents' house, I'm thinking of doing some drop in replacements for my heresies. I'll have to save that for another thread...it's a 1.4" throat though, right?

NBC Symphony - Schubert Symphony No. 9 "Great C-Major" (NBC as in the television network?)

Yes. Excerpts from Allmusic.com: It was a "fabled" orchestra put together in 1937 by David Sarnoff, chairman of RCA which owned both RCAVictor Records and NBC radio, and offered to Arturo Toscanini, then possibly the world's greatest conductor. Toscanini's broadcasts on NBC radio and TV later on were listened to and watched across the nation. I believe these were the only national broadcasts of classical music. EDIT: Of orchestral classical music. The Metropolitan Opera was broadcast nationally (by Texaco). (END EDIT) Toscanini retired after his April 4, 1954, concert, and NBC laid the orchestra off, although most of its members reassembled as the Symphony of the Air.

All Toscanini recordings are mono, and unfortunately have a lean, sometimes grainy sound. While amazingly precise and often exciting, many see them today as overly rushed and rigid. He may have been past his prime by the late 1940's and early '50's.

The Bartok is probably the most challenging recording. I second what Ben says, but suggest you or Steph start with the 5th and 6th quartets. Also give a try to at least the first side of Hansel and Gretel (apologies for the scratchiness). It's a great opera!

Larry