Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Blue Highway, "Still Climbing Mountains", cd, bluegrass

If you seldom listen, or are a very big fan of, bluegrass, this is a

pretty good one. All original material and songs. These

guys stretch a bit out of the format on some songs, but it's still

firmly grounded on bluegrass soil. Very well recorded too!

So what do you have to recommend this week?

I have to agree with Allan that Teddy Edwards was possibly the most underrated horn player in jazz history. Any of his albums are highly recommended. I have 6 and they're all fantastic. Here's my list in no particular order:

Nothin' But The Trust

It's About Time

Teddy's Ready

Together Again

It's All Right

and the one I'm playing right now...

Feelin's

They're all GREAT!

Edit: I forgot one. Side B of Sonny Rollins At Music Inn has Teddy Edwards with Joe Castro At Falcon's Lair. Just 2 songs but worth the price of admission. Incredible recording too. It's on the short-lived MetroJazz label of MGM Records and is a must-have if you can find a copy.

I'll recommend a new CD this week. It actually comes with 2 discs. One is a regular CD and the other is a DVD of the same concert very beautifully mixed in 5.1 DD.

The album:

An evening with Shane and Shane, live at Spaceway Studios (INPOP Records)

Acoustic Pop/rock. The band uses two drummers throughout the set, and it makes for some very unique rhythms.

Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann

Charles Gerhardt Conducting the National Symphony Orchestra

RCA 707

Film Scores

This collection stands as one of the greatest soundtrack albums ever recorded. Bernard Herrmann personally selected the music and worked with Gerhardt during the recording session. Although the justly famous "Citizen Kane" leads the title charge, most of the music is from less successful films that caused these treasures to be buried. Thank goodness Herrmann and Gerhardt thought to give us good recordings of these lost gems.

This recording is absolutely electrifying on a good sound system. I have very few orchestral recordings that give me the feeling of sitting in the audience, and this one is at the top of the list. If you like soundtrack albums, and especially if you like Bernard Herrmann's scores, this album is a must. Looking for a good demo recording for your expensive hifi system? This is it.

All this Guitarist talk gets me fired up, so let's try this;

ERIC CLAPTON; CROSSROADS; Guitar Festival DVD
What can you say,from the opening song; Clapton's version of "Cocaine", to ZZ TOPS closing,"Tush", what a list of performers. The line up runs through just about every basic style guitar.OLD Legends, New players, Todays greats, and even some Jazzy style players. There is something for eyeryone on these discs. Just let me say this; I do not like country music, I have never really liked Vince Gill, but old Vince sure can play a guitar. I won't go out and buy any Vince Gill, I still don't like him,but he can play with the best of them. Same goes for the jazz guys, but it's about the guitar, and these guys can play. ROCK; Classic Rock is where I hang my hat, GUITAR based ROCK.
Let's do a quick run through the Rockers; Clapton is always good, and seems to enjoy himself. Robert Cray, sweet , and not enough of him. Joe Walsh, nice sneakers Joe, great player, good songs. Kinda liked Jonny Lang, grown up abit since I last saw him. ZZ TOP, How can it be that Billy Gibbons never appears on a best list? This guy is a great guitar player. The Big Little Band from Texas; whoelse should close such a show? This disc is worth every penny you pay for it. There is something for every guitar and music fan. What a diverse line-up of talent shown here, Enjoy!! Maybe CLAPTON is God!!!
P.S. STEVE VAI; that man is a Guitar Slinger; check his set out. Great set by Steve and cohorts. If you don't like him you might be surprised, give it a look.

All this Guitarist talk gets me fired up, so let's try this;

ERIC CLAPTON; CROSSROADS; Guitar Festival DVD

What can you say,from the opening song; Clapton's version of "Cocaine", to ZZ TOPS closing,"Tush", what a list of performers. The line up runs through just about every basic style guitar.OLD Legends, New players, Todays greats, and even some Jazzy style players. There is something for eyeryone on these discs. Just let me say this; I do not like country music, I have never really liked Vince Gill, but old Vince sure can play a guitar. I won't go out and buy any Vince Gill, I still don't like him,but he can play with the best of them. Same goes for the jazz guys, but it's about the guitar, and these guys can play. ROCK; Classic Rock is where I hang my hat, GUITAR based ROCK.

Let's do a quick run through the Rockers; Clapton is always good, and seems to enjoy himself. Robert Cray, sweet , and not enough of him. Joe Walsh, nice sneakers Joe, great player, good songs. Kinda liked Jonny Lang, grown up abit since I last saw him. ZZ TOP, How can it be that Billy Gibbons never appears on a best list? This guy is a great guitar player. The Big Little Band from Texas; whoelse should close such a show? This disc is worth every penny you pay for it. There is something for every guitar and music fan. What a diverse line-up of talent shown here, Enjoy!! Maybe CLAPTON is God!!!

P.S. STEVE VAI; that man is a Guitar Slinger; check his set out. Great set by Steve and cohorts. If you don't like him you might be surprised, give it a look.

Ditto -- the most entertaining guitar DVD out there--and there are alot out there. Amazing that the diversity of Vince Gill, John McLaughlin, Steve Vai, Robert Randolph, John Mayer, and the other bigger names make this consistently a joy -- killer sound, too