Another roadtrip

steamer

It all started on Dec. 27 2005.After a year or so of looking for Scala bass bins I posted a thread in search of....

A couple members responded with ideas,mainly about building my own which I didn't want to do.Thanks for that advice guys.Another post by Colterphoto said I had a pm.Checked the pm and it turns out this guy is horden all the bass bins in the state of Indiana as well as many other fine Klipsch products.LOL.Michael shot me a price I coulnt refuse,told him I had to get rid of some gear laying around and would get back to him.

fast forward to early Feb.and gear sold.Told Michael I was ready to buy em and how much was shipping?He indicated that he didn't want to really ship and I understood that...enter Dr.Who,the first plan was to ferry the bins to Chicago where the good doc's family resides and relatives of mine..perfect.Who goes to school at U of Ill. and goes home on weekends.Now how to fit 2 bass bins in a Subaru?This was getting complicated.I decided we needed another plan.After consulting a Rand-McNally I shot Michael a plan on meeting halfway in Bloomington Ill.Just so happens he had a business appointment in Terehute and it wouldn't be to far out of his way.Plan on!Thanks Michael.

Fast forward to today.I ended up taking the day off to get this done.The drive went fine and I actually arrived 1 hr early,misjudged something.I try to give Michael a call to let him know where I am and with a hand full of quarters a message tells me that I cant make a long distance call.OK this is great what to do now?A sticker on the phone said I could make a collect call,tried that but his cell woulnt accept a collect call...shit I'm running out of options here short of standing at the off ramp and flagging him down(knew what he was drivin),then saw another sticker that said charge it to your CC..cool.Michael answered and informed me he was in Champagne picking up the doc and would see me in 45 or so.

I'm sitting in my Tahoe thinking about Michael and this mysterious Dr.Who,man these guys got alot of posts,like 12000 or so between em.What do they look like,well Michael said to look for the hair LOL and he wasn't kidding.I was wondering if the doc was a professor or something at the university the way he posts.I happened to be parked facing the off ramp and saw them exit.So I get out of my vehicle and wait at the back.Here comes Michael toolin up with the window down.He smiles and does his best Cheech and Chong imitation"Hey man I got some speakers for you,I think they spell them K-L-I-P-H"so I answer back with my best"Hey man can I see dem first"LOL classic Michaels a hoot.And the doc is a mild mannered softspoken GENIOUS.

Well we got them loaded after a group effort of figuring out how to move my rear seat forward.The genious figured it out so I have to give him the credit.Then it was time to eat.We had a nice lunch and talked shop,lots of audio.After that well...there was this stripper bar and Michael figured out how to hook up the bass bins to my Tahoes system.I wont mention the babes dancin on top of my bass bins.

No,really it didn't get that far..to sum things up it was great to finally meet a few people from the forum.Michael and Who are great guys.Michael thanks for meeting me half way on the road.The bass bins are gonna ROCK!!!

I wonder what the rest of you look like?

Greg

Yeah, it's nice meeting fellow members. I have met Q-Man (refinished my La Scala's), Colin (now in Tampa) and Flason (St Pete). Any members that live around central Florida (I'm in Oviedo) let me know who you are. Would love to meet you, share a beer and listen to each others systems if it's convenient.

Mike

Jeepers you guys. 60+ of you read this overnight and NO ONE but Mike L congratulates my new friend Steamer on his score of minty LSI bottoms? WHATSAMATTERU?

So here's the trip in my own warped memory. Greg and I start talking a while back. I mean, yeah I got these two LSI bottoms on my trip with my good friend Indy when we went to Miami, but I've never used them. They were intended to be double bottoms for my other LSI's, but I ended up getting a second pair anyway. Do you follow? So at this point I have THREE bass bins and TWO mid/hi's per side! That's too much even for CP1. So I divest myself of a pair.

YES THAT"S RIGHT- I SOLD Klipsch speakers (make trumpeting noise here and release the pigeons). After the KG2's to Ranjith, this is my second sale, aren't you so very proud of me now?!?!?

My day goes as follows, up at 5, load truck, out door at 7 for meeting, 8-9:30 drive to Terre Haute, deliver framed photo and make changes to a Bridal album. Two blocks around the corner I deliver some banana plugs to BillH's residence.

Then off to zigzag around the countryside to Champaign IL, picking DrWho up at his humble college abode (more on this later). We get the call from Greg, who's like 45 minutes ahead of schedule at the appointed place. He has staked a claim at the local Cracker Barrel, a bastion of Klipsch traders everywhere.

I'm in the Chevy PU, which has the full bed, but tiny motor, it just barely does 70 (got to get a tune-up), and we pull in at precisely 11:58 local time for a noon meeting. Who is aghast that I could be on the road all morning and be off by only 2 minutes!

The Cheech Marin thing was totally impromptu when I saw ponytailed, sweatshirted, mustachio'd Steamer standing by his Tahoe. Long curly locks waving, bug-eyed from too much Diet Rock Star, I lean out the window and give it my best 'so chu wanna buy some speeeeeekers, mon?', ' I got some right here for ju'. He busts into a big smile.

We make the swap, Greg looks like a kid in candy store.Maybe it was too good of a deal? Who figures out the tilty seat thingie in the Tahoe. Then Greg buys lunch for us, always a telltale sign that the buyer thinks he got a good deal. I like it when everyone is happy. Who holds his own very well during our two hour lunch, Greg tells us all about his 18" Bag End subs and why he's swapping the LS systems. He runs the Altec 511/902(?) in a two way configuration, so thought it would be nicer to just start with bass bins and build up than butcher up his beautiful 90's pair. I have a feeling those will go for sale soon. They sound to be in great condition.

So we head back and I stop by Who's college apt. Not much anywhere but the obligatory single-guy-sink-full, a sofa and speakers speakers everywhere. He's actually got it rigged pretty cool, with the computer being his source, a PA mic mixer serving as preamp to Crown sub amp hidden in the closet for noise reduction. There Chorii, Heresy, KSC center on top of computer monitor, some Marantz serving very well as subwoofers. He plays some really cool music for me and I'm about dozing off. The apt is cool because it's old and the walls must be concrete because he's got in THUMPING and you can't hear it outside the door.

I must say, Dr. has different (read: modern) taste in music and I don't know what any of it is, but it's COOOOOL. I think he gets the same feeling at my house. I leave him with a copy of Pulp FIction, some CD's he burned at my place last time, and a bw photo of him in my garage rope caulking a Cornwall Horn. It's a great photo and he agrees- says he never takes a good one- but then I am the MASTER! I'd look for a new avatar from him fairly soon.

We've got to get Who some posters and decorating stuff for the walls, so if anyone has anything...

I pack up, it's a pretty quick trip home. $50 gas in the truck (bummer)

I'm in bed by 9 pm. exhausted but happy.

Oh, and now we know what Steamer means! Ask him.

I love a good road trip! My friends think I'm nuts.

Michael

Yes that's exactly right. There are several cabinet types. I sold Greg the ones with the pebble paint and rubber corners. At my home right now are double stacks of the ones with fibreglass covering and aluminum edge trim. That's the Mack Truck of LS!

So I can do PA and stack them bass/bass/MidHi/Midhi- that last mid hi is from 5-6 feet off the ground- cuts their heads CLEAN OFF!

Here's a photo of the type I have.

post-10755-1381928359488_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it's nice meeting fellow members. I have met Q-Man (refinished my La Scala's), Colin (now in Tampa) and Flason (St Pete). Any members that live around central Florida (I'm in Oviedo) let me know who you are. Would love to meet you, share a beer and listen to each others systems if it's convenient.

Mike

And me!! Doncha remember me coming down there and buying those Cornwalls that had been in crates for 15 years or some such? We drug them over to your place in order to give a listen. (sigh)......how soon they forget. [;)] [:)]

Tom

Mike

And me!! Doncha remember me coming down there and buying those Cornwalls that had been in crates for 15 years or some such? We drug them over to your place in order to give a listen. (sigh)......how soon they forget. [;)] [:)]

Tom

You are so right Tom, and it was a pair of Cornwalls. LOL

Didn't you have a little pickup truck that you were commuting in?

Mike

Ok, that's it! You guys get two great posts about three Forum members getting together and only four guys are polite enough to comment or cheer us on? Whatever became of comraderie?

Geesh, talk about a lukewarm reception. Last time I pour my heart out here.....[:(]

Michael

Mike

Yes,

Mike aka Dr. Who and I spoke briefly about this and getting more people together here in the midwest.I believe he posted a thread on this subject in the general forum.

Greg

The story wouldnt be complete without the docs perspective,would you agree Michael?

Greg

lol guys...after the trip I found myself in the IEEE lab working on a

robot until 1am and then I've been at school from 9am this morning and

I'm now writing in the computer lab, taking a break from homework (it's

1:20am)...and now I must catch a bus that will only take me half way

home (to be followed by a 15 minute bike ride)...