Variac Power Conditioners Questions to RKI,....Please

126mhz

Hello;

I just bought a Monster HTS3500 power conditioner from Buy.com for $159.00 with a $50.00 rebate and I'm sure I will be happy with it given my needs but I have question or two answered if possible.

First, my household voltage from any outlet in my home is running from 122.1 to 122.6 according to my digital volt/ohm meter. (Sad to say my new Monster conditioner's voltage meter reads 125 volts even when I put a volt/ohm meter off of one of it's outlets and it reads 122.2)

Just cheap volt meter on my Monster unit?

Second, I do not want 122 volts running to any of my precious tube gear over a prolonged period of time because I understand that it will wear everything including the tubes out faster,...is this correct?

Third, could I just pick up an inexpensive variac and set it so that it will deliver no more than 118 to 119 volts and then hook it into my new conditioner and will this solve my voltage problem right?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

What you really need is an ISOTAP. They show up on e-bay with regularity for very few bucks (more for shipping!).

I don't think you will be doing any real harm at 122vac.

My gear was designed for 117vac and in my neighborhood I have measured line as high as 132vac (in Texas everything is bigger!) which would be getting close to meltdown for Mark IIIs. With an Isotap, I keep it tamed to c. 120vac which works just fine.

No fooling, watch your bias settings. If you don't know how to do it, don't wait. Find out this afternoon! You'll fry more output tubes with improper bias than you ever would with 122vac.

Good luck.

DRBILL

All tube gear from the 60's were designed for 117VAC I have no clue where the 107-110VAC rumors came from. Read any schematic and they all state 117VAC. 122 is a little high but its really not that big a deal. An Isotap like Bill suggested is a great cure and actually provides isolation to boot. But be careful most of these can not power multiple pieces of gear at once But they work fine for a Scott integrated and maybe a Tuner.

Craig

All tube gear from the 60's were designed for 117VAC I have no clue where the 107-110VAC rumors came from. Read any schematic and they all state 117VAC. 122 is a little high but its really not that big a deal. An Isotap like Bill suggested is a great cure and actually provides isolation to boot. But be careful most of these can not power multiple pieces of gear at once But they work fine for a Scott integrated and maybe a Tuner.

Craig

Thanks Craig and Dr.Bill. An Isotap eh? Okay if I pick one up could I splice one inbetween my outlet and the Monster? That way the Monster would never receive more than 120v or 117v right?

Thanks for all the help folks,

Very kind of you to help me sort this out DRBILL,..

I did a google and found several on Ebay, (which I HATE) but I would be willing to pick one of there, except all of the "Hits" I got were for Isotaps that were already sold.

Could not find a place still selling them without having to bid. It sounds to me like they might no longer be made?

Thanks again,