Do you ever experience what I'm experiencing?

Tim_in_NC

Hi Guys,

I've finally gotten my Main System setup in which I'm currently getting maximum sound enjoyment. My receiver and all of my theater speakers seem to be firing on All Cylinders...

However, on my "never ending" quest to experiencing Sound Nirvana I sometimes experience a strange "phenomenon" while watching some (not often, but occasionally) Dolby Digital or DTS DVD's.

This is where I want to know if you too experience this "phenomenon"...

Now remember, this only occasionally occurs.

Here's the scenario: I'll be watching a DVD at fairly nice volume levels (nothing even remotely close to reference levels) and suddenly someone on the film will let out a loud scream. This loud scream is then translated into a sharp shrill (or non-normal) sound coming from my speakers (primarily horns), but as soon as that scream is finished, everything is back to normal.

I've mentioned things similar to this in the past, and I'm almost 100% sure that this is just inefficiencies in the recording of the DVD's soundtrack (thus a source issue) and the fact that for some reason or another, they have difficulties recording sudden High Pitched sounds (sudden extreme change in pitch) accurately. This coupled with our Klipsch speakers efficient reproduction of sound only magnifies this "phenomenon" ...

SO...

Do you ever experience what I'm experiencing?

-TIM

:Do you ever experience what I'm experiencing?"

Hmmmm, let's see, yes I have in two situations, one is not appropriate for the forum and the other is when I say I promise my wife I am going to do something I do not.

Now back to the speakers issue.

Do you have a particular movie/scene we can reference?

One of the reasons why I intially sold off my RF7s was because of the brightness. your situation maybe characteristic of the horn itself.

Several things you can check, ensure such settings like in the pioneer sets called midnight where they take sounds in the background and bring them forward are off. Also, what I found was some movies have a +4 in the dialoge during playback. When I had my Klipsch I set the treble down a couple of notches. if you have an calibration program you can reduce the levels around 1 to 4 Khz. I found that took a little bit of the edge off.

I hope this was useful.

Scott

All of my settings are pretty darn close... I don't think this is setting related...

It can be several things...

I'm getting old and my hearing is changing,
My older Klispch center had a dome type tweeter,
I'm too close to my speakers,
I'm just too DARN PICKY ...

or ...

source, source, and more source

Do any of you experience what I experience? [:D]

No I have never had this problem and I am very picky. I would double check that you have the sound compression turned of in your dvd player. They all use a differnt word for it so find it in your manual and then turn it off.

If you have this turned off already then check your speaker connections. Make double sure there are no stray strands hanging out at the terminals.

Otherwise I think it is going to be a receiver problem. I have watched a lot of movies, I mean alot and have never had this problem. I have had issues with receivers going bad over time a producing distortion into the signal and higher sound levels.

Everything within the DVD Player is set correctly...

This is not something that occurs very often ... only on an occasional DVD with sudden, high yelling or screaming scenes... (and not every DVD with sudden, high yelling or screaming)

I've read in the past where people had experienced similar "phenomenon" ...

I guess it's source issues...

Anyone else?

Is it repeatable every time with that DVD. Not just rewind but when you play it a day latter. Have you tried other copies of the same DVD and does it happen at the exact same spot. Does anyone else in your family or household hear the same effect??? What DVD are you talking about give an example and scene number and someone else can try it to see what happens on their system. Last question, are these on original or copied DVD's Copied DVD's can have problems in the audio side of reproduction.

Merkin,

Yes, I've checked a couple times and it is repeatable within the DVDs ...

I don't have any exact areas to reference, I'll try to get some for you all during the weekend...

There is one DVD that stands out in my mind and it is of a Fight Scene of an original copy of The Fifth Element "Superbit" edition... The Liv Tyler looking chick is roughing up some of the bad guys... and one of the loud sound effects makes the type "phenomenon" it's during the last punch of the scene before she climbs up in the air conditioning vent system...

I'll reply it along with some of the DVDs that I experienced some of the dialog issues...and get a more precise location...

Usually I hear these strange sounds and my wife doesn't really notice... It's probably because I've started looking for them...

And ... I've noticed these sounds on both original and copied DVDs...

I'll get more detailed spots in DVDs for you all to check...

-TIM

I've fought with this for a long time, I sometimes also get it on CD's. AT first I thought it was the mastering on the CD's, but then I realized it's the receiver's crossovers clipping. Try setting all speakers to 'large (no crossovers) and you'll see what I mean. For some reason, the signal coming in is clipping the crossovers.

I have often wondered if this was a result of cheaper digital crossovers (it happened on both my Denon and my HK). I wonder if upgrading to separates would correct this issue?

Anyway, this is what I've found. Let me know if you concur.

" Here's the scenario: I'll be watching a DVD at fairly nice volume levels (nothing even remotely close to reference levels) and suddenly someone on the film will let out a loud scream. This loud scream is then translated into a sharp shrill (or non-normal) sound coming from my speakers (primarily horns), but as soon as that scream is finished, everything is back to normal. "

If your not clipping or somnething is electronically causing this.. maybe I offer another scenario??

Your focussed on your movie.. It is your wife.. then your kids... maybe even a neighbor telling you to turn it down!!!! They get frustrated after the give off a screaming shrill and leave.

I personally think (like from saturday night live..) HEY!!!!, You need more cowbell man!! hahahahahahaha

Don't worry, just enjoy what you have, and make em all jealous. That's my take!!