skipping DVD

colterphoto1

My DVD player Sony S530D, kinda cheapie, kinda old, is exhibiting some skipping. Happens even on brand new and visibly clean disks. Pix freezes, then it jumps to another chapter. Kinda ruins the continuity of a movie or concert.

Is this thing toast or is there any way to clean it?

Also have a brand new 5 DVD changer Sony for the workout room system, it has miniscule letters on the unit that are barely readable, and says LOADING for like 1 full minute, even on CD's. Is this normal or acceptable? It was a real inexpensive unit but I got it at Ovation.

Michael

Michael,

I think it is toast...this is exactly what my old Yammie CD player was doing...1st the door wouldn't close without a 'lil push then it started skipping...try putting a little weight (heavier book) on top of it and see if that doesn't help it...if not...hmmmm, time to get you a new one anyway, riiiiiight??? My 10 year old Yamaha looks like the day I bought it and still even sounds good but...had to move it on. Good luck with yours.

Bill

The 530 is a boat anchor now. I have a newer 5 disc Sony SACD\DVD that takes a while to read "any" disc I load. It doesn't matter whether it's a CD\DVD\SACD store bought or burnt, it takes around 30-45 seconds to read anything. I had a 530 way back when and it was a lot quicker.

Yamaha

Yamaha DVC-6760SL

dvc6760.jpg

5-Disc Progressive Scan DVD-Video/SA-CD Changer ·Progressive Scan ·Yamaha patented PlayXchange ·DVD Video, SA-CD and SVCD, VCD, CD, CD-R/RW and MP3 Playback ·JPEG, DivX and WMA playback ·Picture CD Playback ·NTSC/PAL Progressive Scan Video output ·108MHz/12-bit Video DACs for High Picture Quality ·Progressive Component Video Outputs ·S-Video and Composite Video Outputs ·Video Picture Mode ·192kHz/24-Bit D/A Conversion for High Quality Sound ·Optical and Coaxial Digital Outputs ·SA-CD and DVD Audio Playback Compatibility ·CD Upsampling (2x and 4x)
Tell a friend

$199.95FROM OVATION!

Maxell makes a cleaning CD. It is just a regular CD with a sort of brush on it in a small area. The DVD player must be about the same.

It did not solve a CD player problem I had. I used a Q-tip on the lense and that didn't help either.

I've run into audio CD players that generally do not sense the disk on start up. I think this is where it reads a table of file locations. So it will not do anything.

I'd think there are many things which can go wrong. There is some sort of focus mechanism, laser diode, beam splitter, sensor, and some sort of servo feed back loop. It could be any of those.

Mike, if you want to borrow the cleaner, send me some e-mail with your address.

Gil

Boy you guys kill me. Most of you LUCKY people have thousands of dollars invested in Klipsch speakers, tons of wattage with many classic amps, and low and behold, you quibble about a couple of hundred dollars for a DVD player; What's up with that? Isn't a Dvd player needed today to watch movies, unless you have VHS? DVD looks better, and damn sure sounds bettter, and easier to use than tapes. If your into concert/music VHS, I have a bunch (like brand new), I'd give someone a great deal on, they are perfect. Spent way too much on VHS tapes, but, at the time , Dolby Surround was King, then came DVD, 5.1, and the rest is history. KLIPSCH remains King, that will never change.