Hereys III's

tgourlie

This was my response in an earlier thread regarding my Heresy III.

I have never owned a pair of any model Heresy before, although I have had some limited time listening to Heresy II in a dealer showroom years ago. Too long ago and not nearly enough time spent listening to make a comparison.

That being said I do like my new speakers quite a bit. When I first got them I was able to A/B them for a couple of days with my pair of Chorus in a 2 channel set up, using my Rotel HT equipment. The first thing I noticed was the noise floor, with the Chorus and the volume set at 0 you can hear a slight hiss from the mid and tweeter. You can not hear this with the Heresy. I suppose this is the result of the Chorus being more efficient and able to audibly reproduce any noise in the system. I notice the same thing from my K-Horns but even a bit louder, but they are more efficient than the Chorus and are being driven by a Carver system that I believe to be a little noisier than the Rotel.

I have a pair of K-stack networks built by Chris Munson (popbumper) that I haven't had a chance to install in the Chorus yet (sorry Chris). I am curious to see what effect they have on the hiss as well as the rest of sound. I will get to them and report when I can find the time.

I find the Heresy sound to be not as big and room filling as the Chorus, which I suppose should be expected. To me the Heresy upper end is smooth and warm sounding (adjectives suitable to my untrained ears) very comfortable and definitely with that effortless Klipsch feel. The bass is smaller sounding, not as enveloping and noticeable as the Chorus. Similar to the difference between the Chorus and moving up to the bigger feel of the K-Horn.

All in all I find the Heresy to a very good looking, warm and comfortable sounding, efficient speaker. I like them a lot. They probably aren't being taxed too much working as the rears in my 5.1 HT. Currently they are mounted a little above ear level along the back wall of my basement and blend very well with the rest of the system, Chorus, Academy (with K-stack which I will also eventually report on - a very easy install), Chorus, and Velodyne DD-18 sub.

I suppose the best recommendation I can give is that I am actually thinking about getting another pair to replace the KG 2.5's in our kitchen. Luckily I have a music loving, Klipsch appreciating wife.

I realize this isn't the most professional of reviews but it would seem to me that unless you can find a great set of 3 used Heresy II's you probably can't go wrong with the Heresy III's.