Heresy midrange upgrade?

BRK

Some background:

I purchaced empty Heresy cabinets with Type E crossovers on Ebay. Very nice pair of 1977 vintage walnut boxes. Anyway, I purchaced 2 K-22 woofers, and plan on ordering the the Bob Crites tweeters. I also have the DIY ALK crossovers in the works. I am wondering if there is a squaker upgrade that would sound better than the K-55-v? Would the Altec 902 or JBL 2470 work and sound better? Would either of these even fit in the case? I know that I would get better sound from one of the bigger speakers (Cornwall, La Scala, etc), but I just don't have room in my house. Thanks from a Klipsch newbee.

Audio equipment is Mac tube preamp into MC-30s.

Bruce

I am one of those that thinks the best thing about the older heresy is the K-55v and the horn lens - this is the same calcs used on the other heritage horns and I really like the mid sound. In most ways it matches my 2425/2370A JBL concoction.

Those more in the know may also tell you that you may be in need of further crossover tuning - especially if you change the horn and get different response charateristics.

Al Klappenberger's Trachorn 600 will fit, if you're willing to put that much money into your Heresys.

First are you sure AL is going to have the Trachorn 600 produced and second I tried the measurements Al posted on a Heresy II and it would cut into the woofer.

No, I don't think the Trachorn 600 would fit into a Heresy II; it is possible to get it into a Heresy, though. If the Trachorn 600 is mounted from the front to get some overlap with the flanges of the rear mounted tweeter and woofer, and if the upper and lower flanges of the Trachorn are trimmed a little to keep them from blocking the tweeter and woofer cutouts, it will fit. The Trachorn flange can be inset into the motorboard somewhat with a little routing, but it still would stick out a little at the front. It wouldn't be pretty, but it could fit.

Given the price of theTrachorns and the ALK crossovers, one would be turning a pair of Heresys into perhaps a $1500 pair of Heresys, but I'd bet they would sound much better than a new pair of Heresys for the same $1500.

As to whether Al will offer the Trachorn 600's for sale, I don't know.