XP Pro Soundcards

I confess, I don't know squat about soundcards. I don't really WANT to know about them. At present, and for the forseeable future, my sound system and my computer are as intertwined as my car and my bathroom. (Though I confess, I occasionally have to exit my car to use the bathroom.)

ANYWAY....

Without being too concerned with output jack style, surround capabilities, or any goofy sound card stuff, what's your recomendation if I simply want to play cd's through a Boston Accoustics 3 piece MM system that came with an older stereo? It MUST be XP Pro compatible is the only concern, other than it doesn't sound like a 9 volt transistor pocket radio!

TIA, Craig

p.s. If it makes no difference what I buy, it will all sound the same with the Bos Acc speaks, see the initial disclaimer starting this post.

Sorry toddvj, I probably could have phrased that better. The company supplying my new software for the shop is also setting up the hardware. He does only business applications and hasn't had need for a soundcard for XP Pro up to this point, but I want something for my home computer, which he is also setting up. Originally he said he wasn't aware of a card for XPP, but after I pushed him a little he said he found one, an SIIG 710012 SoundWave 7.1 PCI, and I know nothing about it, I'm sure it's not the greatest out there, which I don't need, I just want to make sure it doesn't sound like crap if I can get something better for a minimal additional investment.

In addition, you're probably right, I would assume there is some sort of sound output built into it already, I could probably just run with that. DOOHHHH!!

• 1 month later...

I have to agree with jay, although M-Audio is the only brand I've used (Revo 7.1, currently using internal Delta 410). I'm not necessarily an M-Audio Fanboy, but I've read quite a bit about creative and don't have much faith in them. They even lost a lawsuit for false advertising since one of their soundcards was upsampling to 24bits. and they did not specify. The Delta 410 goes on sale every now and then on NewEgg.com for about $80, it has 8 RCA outs, 2 RCA in, 1 Coax out and 1 in. I believe the sound quality of these two cards is fairly similar, so whichever is easier for your setup would be a good choice. I've read good reviews on the Turtle beach as well, just never tried them. Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

For music M-Audio Audiophile would be great,not too expensive and works like a charm.

An audiophile sound card on a budget.

As an all around inexpensive sound card the Creative Audigy 2ZS does a fine job.Anyone telling otherwise is smoking weed or wanting to elevate himself.

I will not get into too much detail here but...with the speakers you will be using there is NO way you ned or will take advantage in a major way of a higer quality sound card.The Audigy 2ZS being plenty good for all the multimedia PC speakers on the market.As these spakers have too many flaws to honestly say they deserve an audiophile sound card.

A M-Audio Audiophile card would be very welcome if you will use high quality headphones or studio monitoring speakers.Compnents that are very transparent.

My two cents