Looking for 511b info and some design thoughts

rplace

Still working out all the details of my khorn HF section project in my mind. For those who don't remember I am considering rebuilding my top section in a rough MDF enclosure that will allow it to pivot a bit wider then my current 13.5 foot wall allows. If I like the results I will make a permanent version...and strongly considering a deco look.

Original thoughts were to build it and swap out my current drivers/horns to see how it flies. Then I thought if I could pick up "spare" parts cheap it would be nice to have a my original HF section as well as my new franken-top. This would allow for a more detailed evaluation...But more thoughts crept in. If I am going to buy 400 horns/drivers and K77s just for testing why not go with what most here think are better horns as well. So my thoughts turned to Al's trachorn. With saving my BBX pennies this would be quite a hit to my piggy bank. So how about a compromise in the form of 511b horns? I have never seen one in person or heard one, but they seem to be regarded as an improvement and like all classic parts, I could probably get most of my money back if I don't like it.

So now I am looking for info on the size of the 511b. depth from front mounting flange to back of driver. Also need to know the widest width and the height please. I know Al's trachorn would give me minimal depth so I can "pivot" more, but is the 511b less deep then the K400?

Also, what are my options to mount my current stock driver to the 511b?

Is there any other horn that will be an improvement over the 400 but still be a cost savings?

I guess I am just anxious to play around with different horns/drivers and get some wood working under my belt. I think long term I would gravitate to the trachorn, but for now considering a cheaper option.

I realize that if I change the drivers and or horns at the same time I introduce the pivoting option I am dealing with a lot of variables. So should I scrap this and go back to my original plan of a pivot vs. non-pivot test box with k400 horns then evaluate and regroup on horns at a later time?

Thanks for any and all info and thoughts on the subject.

Hello,

I am using the 511/902 driver combo and it just happens to be sitting on top of my LaScala's for a quick measuerment.

The depth from the flange face to the rear of the 902 driver is 17"

The flange width and heigth are 23 3/8" wide and 10 5/8" tall

The rear of the flange has ears that would require a cutout to fit the flange flush with the face of the top section.The ears are 1/4" in width,and within the demensions of the mounting flange.

Like your idea about a pivoting top section and have the same plan for my top sections.

Hope this helps.

Greg

FWIW

The top section internal height I made 12 inches. This is a little taller than may be needed but I didn't want any obstruction in the vertical plane. The motorboard is recessed exactly 5 inches to accomidate the lips of the 511b and enough room for a grill.

Of note: the cut out for a JBL2404 is the exact size of a CD!

Good luck.

post-16499-13819283932072_thumb.jpg