Cello concerto / Sea Pictures

Jacqueline Du Pre / Janet Baker

London Symphony

Sir John Barbirolli

EMI

ASD 655

Stereo

UK

If yours is with Barbirolli and the London Symphony it is possibly the same performance.

What is the Delius Cello like? - I have never heard (of) it.

Yes, Max, it's the Barbirolli performance alright.

The Delius is a different kind of work. Let me quote from the sleeve text:

Apart from florid passages for the soloist, Delius makes little concession to the usual devices of Concerto. The effect is an idyll for cello and orchestra played without break, with no cadenza.....The basic pulse is slow throughout. It is the rhythmic detail within the pulse that changes with each episode.

The concerto was completed in 1921 and in the way Delius develops his melodic line(s) one can tell that the work belongs to the twentieth centure (though firmly fixed in the realm of tonality).

I don't play it that often, but then for me Delius is kind of an acquired taste, anyway....even my 'favourite' his 'Mass of Life' (big choral piece on Nietzsche texts).

Wolfram

Dave,

There is a very strange review of my speakers at http://www.aca.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1116

I understand this site is now accessible to non-members too - let me know if you cannot see it.

Anyway - there will be another one up there sometime next week once they have all been down.

Actually - there will be a movie of it too - I am not kidding, some mature student from London is making a film about audiophiles for his final exam - and he is doing it in Athens. I think he is coming over sometime around the 20th. Allow a couple of months for filming and production and we could be appearing in your local iMax theatre this time next year!

Wolfram,

I am not a huge fan of Delius but if I see the Cello concerto I might grab it. Just to confirm one thing - your version of the Elgar - it is an EMI isn't it - and not an Angel - they are never as good.

If it is an EMI is might even be the original version - which is supposed to be better than mine but I could not find it.