The Audiophiles are coming......

maxg

Well having just re-joined the ACA (Audiophile Club of Athens) the next meeting got cancelled at the last minute (18th of March is the meeting) and I got roped in (last night).

No panic (ignore that brown stain!) but I am trying to put a play-list together for the evening.

Any thoughts on the selection thus far (it wont be all of these - but hopefully a taste of most). It is a bit classical based - I will try to find some Rock and Jazz for intervals:

Anyway the list currently looks like this - with descriptions of the record and a bit on performance et al - but without the details on that - I want some surprises!!)

1. Corelli/Pachelbel/Ricciotti/Gluck Concerto Grosso/Kanon/Concertino 2/Chaconne Baroque Audiophile

2. Bach Violin Concerto Baroque Audiophile

3. Beethoven Symphony 3 Romantic Wide choice of recordings - Great Toscanini but poor recording, great recording but average performance and some in the middle

4. Berlioz Requiem Romantic One of the biggest musical events there is - Berlioz liked to fill churches with music - anyone got a Khorn to lend me?

5. Brahms Violin Concerto Romantic Audiophile

6. Dvorak Cello Concerto Romantic Audiophile - mono

7. Elgar Cello concerto / Sea Pictures Romantic Guess the performer - she owned the piece. Decent recording.

8. Frank Symphony in D minor Romantic The forgotten composer? Lovely symphony - decent recording

9. Gershwin Concerto in F / Cuban Overture / I got rhythm variations Modern Audiophile and dramatic composition. Nice performance too.

10. Grieg Pier Gynt Romantic My favorite piece of music - decent recording.

11. Haydn Piano Concerti Classical Another forgotten man - and not one of his 104 symphonies - decent recording

12. Liszt / Enesco / Smetana Rhapsodies Romantic Audiophile and performance perfection - if the hole was in the middle..

13. Mendelssohn/Schubert Symphony 4 (italian), Symphony 8 (unfinished) Romantic Favorite pieces - but the Schubert will be played from another copy as it is better as both performance and recording.

14. Mozart Don Giovani (Highlights) Classical A surprise from Philips - really nice for both performance and recording - if a little strange in the soundstaging.

15. Offenbach Orpheus in the Underworld Romantic Audiophile Opera.

16. Orff Carmina Burana Modern 2 records of the self same performance - the defining performance IMHO.

17. Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 Modern Audiophile and perfect performance.

18. Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade Romantic Audiophile but in poor condition - great performance though.

19. Rossini Barber of Seville Opera Audiophile and barking mad - the Opera is sung in German!!

20. Saint Saens Symphony 3 Romantic If you ever wondered how a symphony would sound with a full church organ in the middle

21. Schubert String Quartet in C major Opera Audiophile and scary - it is a "there" as you can get.

22. Shostakovitch Piano Concertos 1 & 2 Modern I like them.

23. Stravinski The Firebird Modern Conducted by the man himself. Record not in the greatest shape.

24. Tchaikovsky Concerto for Violin - Meditation Romantic Audiophile how it should be done - a favorite piece of she who must be obeyed (SWMBO)

25. Various Callas La Divina 3 Opera Cheapest and best recording of Callas I own.

26. Verdi La Traviata Opera Favorite opera - various recordings to choose from.

27. Verdi Rigoletto Opera Favorite opera - various recordings to choose from.

Throw in The Clash, Lost in the Supermarket, as one of your rock side tracks. Not very hard rocking at all. Nice lyrics, slightly raspy voice, nice steady drumming beat, good bass line. You can't lose.

Let me know if you want a lossless (FLAC) version of the song to burn back to CD in CD format for easy playing.

That is a pretty Ambitious schedule! Even if you only play 5 minutes of each, with changing the record ect, you easily have 3 hours of content. I would rank the listings into groups,

1 cuts that must be played

2 cuts that I would like to be played

3 cuts that would be ok not to be played.

Good luck!

A "bit" classical based?? ;^)

I'd throw a comedy album in there. National Lampoon's "That's Not Funny, That's Sick!" is hillarious (seriously, it is an awesome album).

That meeting sounds like a reall ear-opener for a classical neophyte (of which I am the classic example). Best of luck. Oh, good snacks and lots of booze will help. ;*)

Hard to say much without the recording info. If the Saint Saens is the Columbia/Biggs release it'll be awesome. PWK played that for me in the lab from a 15 ips dub from the master and that began my quest for Klipsch.

The Frank...very wondrous work, but not to be sat through during social event.

Same for a few of the others, and bear in mind many classical freaks FREAK if you break a movement. There is an apocryphal story that Bach was at a social event ended with a guest at the keyboard who stopped what he was playing and went off to bed. Sometime in the middle of the night that chord was heard to be resolved and a sigh of relief followed...

Of course, you know your audience, but its a good thing to break things up with something rousing from time to time.

Wish I could join you...

Dave

OK - I wont be playing all of those - at least I dont think I will. This is the list culled from the initial shortlist of about 70 - so I am doing quite well. It is also a bit too biased towards the Romantic period - but then again so am I.

I don't think the Clash idea will fly - this is all on vinyl - I dont really own a decent enough CD player to do anything else.

Most of the Operatic stuff will be a single Aria to save some time - other pieces will be at most a single movement.

I will try to get down to 15 titles - just to allow some time for other music types. I quite fancy shocking them silly with some of those $1 specials I pick up from time to time.

Decisions, decisions....

Oh, Max - where are the 'biggies'? I'd certainly include Bruckner (final movement of No. 9 - Barenboim on DG is surprisingly good), Mahler (the first movement of No.3? - the Chicago Solti is pretty good as a performance and a recording....as far as I remember), R. Strauss......surely the opening of 'Zarathustra', and Wagner.....play the openedng of 'Rheingold' in the old (1958) Solti recording.....that should leave everybody pretty amazed.

Did you mention the Karajan/Rostropovich (DG) recording of the Dvorak concerto?......and I think DuPre's EMI recording is quite good on being natural.......BTW so is the Menuhin/Boult remake (late 60s) of the Elgar Violin Concerto.

Enjoy the meeting and let us know how things went.

Wolfram

I don't think the Clash idea will fly - this is all on vinyl - I dont really own a decent enough CD player to do anything else.

Decisions, decisions....

http://music.search.ebay.com/the-clash-sandinista_Records_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ306

Take your pick of the bunch. I will pay for the LP. All you have to do is pay shipping. OK, not the 49 or 109 dollar job. [;)] Satisfaction I guarantee it [:P]

Oh, Max - where are the 'biggies'?

Tee hee!

I'd certainly include Bruckner (final movement of No. 9 - Barenboim on DG is surprisingly good),

Don't own it - have 4,5 and 6 from memory. Not a huge Bruckner fan.

Mahler (the first movement of No.3? - the Chicago Solti is pretty good as a performance and a recording....as far as I remember),

Not a Mahler man either - although I do own this one.

R. Strauss......surely the opening of 'Zarathustra',

That was on the "70" list that started the process.

and Wagner.....play the openedng of 'Rheingold' in the old (1958) Solti recording.....that should leave everybody pretty amazed.

That was also on there - but didnt make the cut.

Did you mention the Karajan/Rostropovich (DG) recording of the Dvorak concerto?

Pierre Fournier

Vienna Philharmonic

Rafael Kubelik

......and I think DuPre's EMI recording is quite good on being natural.......BTW so is the Menuhin/Boult remake (late 60s) of the Elgar Violin Concerto.

Quite good????? Quite????? Good?????? Jesus!

Enjoy the meeting and let us know how things went.

Hope to - and will report back for sure.

Wolfram

Cheers

Max,

are we talking about ASD 2764 when it comes to the Elgar? You have me confused.......[:$].

Don't know Fournier in Dvorak.........the Karajan is good, though in terms of performance I once listened to parts of the slow movement of a 50s Rostropovich recording -Czech Orchestra under Talich (sp?)......really blew me away on that day. I always wanted to get a copy of it.......one more for the list.

Wolfram

No - we are not talking about the same recording - I am talking about ASD 655 - Du Pre Elgar Cello and Janet Someone doing Sea Pictures.

Max,

are we talking about ASD 2764 when it comes to the Elgar? You have me confused.......[:$].

Don't know Fournier in Dvorak.........the Karajan is good, though in terms of performance I once listened to parts of the slow movement of a 50s Rostropovich recording -Czech Orchestra under Talich (sp?)......really blew me away on that day. I always wanted to get a copy of it.......one more for the list.

Wolfram

Does this Clash album have "London's burning" on it? I remember that one.

Max, no it is not. London's Burning is on the first Clash LP; self titled The Clash.

The more famous London Calling is on...can you believe it...London Calling. This is a must have LP for anyone that likes music. Right up there with the White album, Sticky Fingers, Blond on Blond, DSOTM, etc.

For the budding Clash neophyte I recommend you pick up LPs/CDs in this order:

London Calling

The Clash

Give em Enough Rope

Sandinista...except Allen Songer...he should buy this and probably only this

Combat Rock

Cut the Crap

or The Essential Clash would be nice one stop shopping

OK, back to thread. Sorry for the hijack

Rplace,

thanks for the list - it is a little different from my liszt(?) I will look at some of those albums but not for the audiopiles I think...

As for the other questions raised in the thread (sorry - cant remember who by):

1. Yes - the "show" is at my place.

2. The Brahms:

Brahms Violin Concerto

Jascha Heifetz

Chicago Philharmonic

Fritz Reiner

RCA Victor Red Seal

LSC 1903

US

Living Stereo