Are the Led Zeppelin Remaster CDs Any Good?

mark1101

obviously, I'm in the minority here. I have all my Led Zep LPs from the late 60s and early/mid 70s which I bought new when they were released. Although I'm as big of a Zep fan as most, I was always dismayed by the "muffling" of the sound of the first three albums..and well, disappointed. As one of the last people my age to finally make the switch to CD, I was probably most amazed by the sonic differences between the first CD transfers/releases and the later "remastered" versions. I MUCH prefer the latter, as it shows all the details of Plant's voice..I do notice Page's guitar work a bit tipped up, but I really like what has happened to Plant's vocals.

But I'm usually in the minority..go figure.

Steve

I thought I was alone,too. It always irrated me when listening to Zep on lp to get any sound other then the band making music.Back ground static, a tic,a pop, normal stuff for the times. Then I finally get a cd player, first disc I buy,Zep box set, put it on, and nothing but music,

clean music. I never really cared that Page tweaked his guitar, after all it was 25 years later, and better recording equipment, enabled him to sound the way he wanted to,but wasn't able to earlier due to equipment limitations. Anyway, Classic Led Zepplin Music redone Jimmy's way, that's enough for me. I can only speak about the box set, I didn't buy any other disc's. How did the single album copies come out, and who mixed those?

IMO, the answer to the original question is without a doubt, the early pressings. Avoid it if it says remasted by Jimmy Page on the back.

Again, IMO, the remasters were mixed with the play back too loud which made them bass shy at normal levels.

I'm in agreement here. I too purchased the Remasters Greatest Hits from Best Buy, and I think the recordings sound like crap, muffled. All my LPs' sound way better to me. And I too have heard about aquiring the European recordings, but have never experienced them.

I; After playing it on that new fangled thing, a cd player, I sold all my LP's, never to spin a disc again.

)

Whaaa...????

them Vinyl guys gonna get ...You ...[:D]

So what else is new? 30+years of vinyl is enough for me.Can't believe people don't like the box set, but no matter what you talk about here, someone always disagrees with you. Too much background noise on vinyl for me, and I'm too old to play Disc Jockey every 15 to 20 minutes, flipping records to hear other side.

Thanx for the warning, I've been beat up on here before,nothing new there.

it is funny how we all perceive the same thing so differently! Of all the LPs I replaced with CDs , I still think the Page remasters were by far the biggest improvement in clarity over the LPs. Yes, I was a big LP fan, I was one of the last converts. But I really feel these were done right!

Just my opinion..

Steve