KLF 30's for $400, deal or not?

intotubes

...Just moved into a new house and she's tired of dirt for a yard - imagine that...

[:D]

Did you explain the benifits? Think of the time and money you are saving. A good lawn mower will cost you more than these 30's.

And that extra family time of not having to mow a couple times a week is priceless.

I'm guessing Black. I would bet they made over 60% of them in Black...

They're finished in oak.

Of course I'll listen to them for a little while but they will have to be pretty good to beat the CW's or Altec's.

I would love to sell some of the closet stuff.

I have a H.H.Scott 99B in very good condition for $150

H.H.Scott L-10 tuner for $75

The CW's arent hooked up but I haven't made up my mind on selling those yet. I'd need $850.

I am going to pack the 30's with 2" stryofoam on bottom and top. 3/16" plywood across the drivers. 1" styrofoam all around. They should ship w/o damage I would think.

You may not want to get rid of them once you try them out. I already have a pair of 30's and am looking for KLF-20's or 30's for surrounds. The oak simply won't work for me.

I wish they were black or a darker color.

Uh, It would be a shame to cover the oak but for 4 hours work, $5 worth of paint and a little masking tape, they could be black.

Are you saying those Altecs sound better to you than the CW's?

I haven't made up my mind yet. But I will tell you this, I had them both hooked up for a while and put the CW's away so I could listen to the Altec's all by themselves. They are very smooth and accurate. The bass isn't quite as low as the CW's but is is very punchy. The horn doesn't go as high either - common for older Altec horn drivers, the new ones do - mine rolls off after 12K but it's very pleasant to listen to. I've had them cranking at near 110dB and they do not fatigue. They are most certainly NOT harsh. I played some Tommy Bolin "Post Toasty" at 104dB for the wife just to show her that loud music that is not distorted sounds very good indeed. She agreed. They sound very good at modest volumes too 75-85dB. My plan for the time being is to sell the Klipsch's to finance a Model 19 build. It is no secret that Altec makes a superior horn. I've heard La Scala's and liked them. I've not heard Khorns but I can get a mint pair of 19's for 1/2 Khorn price. There aren't any around me so I'll have to build my own.

IDK. I thought the CW's were the holy grail when I first got them but there are other good sounding vintage speakers out there. I shouldn't have started down this road, I fear it's a one way street and there's no turning back. [:P]

-Mark

Hey tubes...talk to me about the 299b. I might be interested. Is it plug and play or will I need tubes?

toodles

It is a 99B. Mono. You'd need two of them for stereo. A friend of mine is running two of these as mono blocks with a separate pre. These are integrated amps so a pre is not really necesary except it gives you one volume control. It is a really cool amp with 4 different phono eq curves built in - before there was an RIAA standard - a real piece of history. It also has a variable loudness contour. I have never seen one of these before but have heard of them. You adjust the amount of "loudness" effect you want based on overall listening volume. If you were looking for a sweet mono set up this amp and tuner would be the ticket. If you want stereo you will need to wait for another one to some up for sale. It does not need tubes. I checked all of them on a tester and they all test quite high. I was going to do some more restoration work on it just for kicks. It is really very clean.

-Mark

listen to the Altec's all by themselves. They are very smooth and accurate. The bass isn't quite as low as the CW's but is is very punchy. .............. but it's very pleasant to listen to. I've had them cranking at near 110dB and they do not fatigue. They are most certainly NOT harsh.

IDK. I thought the CW's were the holy grail when I first got them but there are other good sounding vintage speakers out there.]

-Mark

[:D]........[:D].........[:D]...........[:D]........[:D]

'nuff said