What do you consider the IDEAL shape/size K'horn room?

Mallette

It's been visited before, but I'd rather discuss again and get current thoughts than hunt. I am designing my "dream house" with an eye towards perhaps 3-4 years down the road. Of course, it's going to be mainly a Klipschorn room with some other spaces to keep the family occuipied and out of my hair...

It will be a fully surround setup, likely K'horn/Cornwall/K'horn with Frazier V's in the rear. I've not dabble with 7 yet, but have plenty of speakers in inventory if I want to do that. I am pretty firmly in the PWK "long wall" camp so that is settled. My recent room had very fine acoustics, as it sloped steeply upward from 10' on the speaker side to 24' on the back wall. However, it was too narrow and I kept wanting to knock a hole in the back wall to really get in the sweet spot.

So let's talk ideal...dimensions, shape, and materials. I'll deal with reality when the estimates come in...

Dave

The best overall sound I have ever heard out of a pair of Khorn was in Paul Parrot's huge vaulted ceiling A frame home. I believe the room is 28' wide and 32' with 26' to the peak of the ceiling. The sound field is absolutely incredible in this room.

Craig

Extremely well thought out Ht rendering, and label me as a Hijacker if need be, but I think Inquiring minds would love to know more. I will be using a good portion of your concept in my HT, (Hope there are no copyright infringments). Although I have a few questions of my own that don't support the current technology that I'm familiar with. Ok, Here goes:

Question #1. what are the front effect speakers for and what technology supports them present and future?

#2. what brand and model electronics are supporting such a system? I am familiar with 9.1 surrounds, 2-mains, 1-center, 2-rear surrounds, 2-rear effects, and 2-THX side surrounds. Your rendering depicts no rear surrounds, I'm assuming that's what the center rear Khorn is for, Also, I'm not seeing a dedicated location for a sub or multiples of subs, Maybe built in floor or ceiling models would work well here.?

#3. Not to be a smartypants, but I see the extensive use of Khorns in every corner but the sides and the two front effects. I'm assuming that the fronts areLS because the false walls across the front are 57" tall, and there would not be enough room left to place more Khorns off the floor above the false walls. Would it be possible to build the false walls a little shorter, like say just to the top of the base bin on the Khorns, so there would be enough room to add Khorns to that position also. (you know, if your gonna dream, dream big). Or, is the height of a false wall for a Khorn well studied and set in stone by the master P.W.K. Also have you calculated the time delay by having the fronts on different planes, or is this purposely intended?

I especially like the quadrahedron shape of the room. Seems like the sweet spot for a Ht of this caliber would likely be extremely large. Like a possibility of at least one more row of seating behind and slightly raised from the seats drawn. Heh, I think I just discovered where that missing Sub should be located. Talk about volcanic eruptions.

Also, maybe Lascalla's are not prone to this, but my experience with building a pocket or nich to place a speaker is tanamount to placing it inside a cave. side reflections are usually adversely affected by the close proximity to the speaker sides, as most all speakers directly radiate sound through the sides of the speaker, no matter how stable the platform. this is usually taken into account for by the engineered harmonics of the speaker, not?

I've also read PWK's recomendations with the LS, by not placing feet, legs, or raising the LS off the ground as it severly affects the bottom two octaves of the sound spectrum, and causes irregularities in the next three octaves. Heresy's don't seem to be bothered by this, maybe econimics could prevail to be a better alternative for the sides, I know I will have to be aware of the bottom line.

That's all I can come up with for now, and by all means, I'm not trying to punch holes in your brainstorming. I am a firm believer in multiple task management. You've got a great idea, I'd like to use a lot of it and also maybe find different alternatives to make your design Better, cheaper, and faster.

This is pretty much a crash course for me as I'm going to be starting the new home building process by this fall.