TUBE INFO

jcmusic

Greg, the reason i ask is i picked up a scott 299 to try out. You know to see if i would like the tube sound or not. I am sold on the sound i really like what iam hearing. So i am trying to decide on what setup to go with, intergraed amp, or seperates. I looked at the Decware stuff among others and was kind of leaning

in that direction. The prices are not too bad and you get that lifetime warranty, i kind of like that.

Jay

Jay,

You can at least try them out and send them back if you dont like the sound.The life time warranty is nice.If down the road you want to unload them,I see them on audiogon and they don't last long.

I have read that they require a long break in period.I got mine used and burned in,so I have no experience with the new product.Another thought would be to buy used and burned in on audiogon.You could definitely resell them fast if you didn't like.

I ran my Decwares for a time driving my LaScala's full range and was impressed.With your Khorns you could have a similar results.

Greg

Daddy Dee you are so right, i am sold on the sound no doubt about it. I just grabbed the scott to see if i would like the sound, which i do. So now it's time to decide on what i want next to step up a notch or so.

Since the scott is a PP amp, i am uncertain as to which way to go. PP or SET. I do like the bass from

the scott, it's more than enough @ about 20wpc. If i only could get the same bass dynamics in a SET.

All advise is welcome.

OK Greg, thanks i'll look into them. Thanks again for all your help.

Greg i forgot to ask, how were the dynamics with the Decwares, the bass?

When I ran them on the Scala's full range I thought they did quite well.You could push them out of their envelope which was quite loud.Keep in mind I run subs in the system with signals crossed at @70 hz relieving them of some of the bass duties,so I guess not quite full range.

Greg

Did you get my pm?

Greg, I just read an entire article on the Welborns, pretty impressive to say the least. Now you have

created one more thing for me to look into, thanks just the same i value your opinion.

Jay

I think you would be happy with either,but a little dynamic insurance with the Welbournes would be nice.

Greg

Yes you are right about that. Further investigation for sure.

Greg i forgot i have one other option to way. I can always go with seperates and use my Marantz SS for the bass if i want to get a little complex. I was trying to keep it simple if at all possible. But as you know this hobby of ours is a little crazy at times.

Jay

Yes you are right about that. Further investigation for sure.

Greg i forgot i have one other option to way. I can always go with seperates and use my Marantz SS for the bass if i want to get a little complex. I was trying to keep it simple if at all possible. But as you know this hobby of ours is a little crazy at times.

Jay

Yes,

There are many routes to persue in this hobby.Mine has been crazy for about the last 4 months,cant turn the system off LOL.

As you can see I have configured my system to exploit all the strengths of SET and SS.Quite the journey but well satisfying.

Sometimes it is hard to keep simple depending on your idea of the perfect music machine.

You might consider the Scott for bass along with SET amps for the mids and highs.To go even further get a active crossover to further maximize the biamp setup.I got my Rane on ebay for $70 just to get the system up and running.

Good luck which ever direction you choose.

Greg