High Def? Check out this new JVC Player

JJkizak

This player will play conventional DVD discs plus m2t, ts, mpeg2, mpeg1, mp-3, mp-4, etc. So what this means if you burn an m2t (High Def) file as a data file to a standard DVD disc it will give you about 30 minutes high def playing time and if you burn to dual disc it will be 1 hr. Also ditto for HD-WMV files. It also will connect via Cat5 and USB2.0/1.1 to USB external drives and cards. You don't have to wait for Bluray or HD-DVD. If you are a video editor you can create your own slide shows as long as your pictures started out around 2000x 2000. Render to 1080i 30p m2t and walla!I ordered mine from B & H for $379.00 as now I will be able to view the m2t files directly as long as the movies are not too long. If someone has HD-WMV's available they will work also. Of course, the hollywood stuff will be on Bluray or HD-DVD only. JVC-SRDVD-100U

JJK

As cool as this product sounds I don't think it will win over the hearts and minds of the potential HD DVD or Blue Ray buyers. I would venture to guess over 95% of the consumers that are looking at getting into Hi Def DVD players won't want to have to go thru the trouble of minipulating files and burning dvd's on their computers, especially if they have to burn 2 to 3 dual layer disc's just for one movie. I see this as a product that will have limited appeal to the majority of potential Hi Def buyers IMO.

I agree with Scooter - as cool as it sounds, I think the HD-DVD is in such an infancy stage, that the average consumer (and audio/videophile) may serve best to wait until a lot of the technology bugs are worked out and ultimately simplified to the extent that burning a CD is today. Just my .02.

I agree with the others - interesting product but too much work to get the disk. I think the whole HD thing is going to take awhile to settle out ....sounds WAY too much like the old VHS vs BetaMax.....

I also suspect that if the players are not reasonable and backwards compatible,etc - it'll be a party that no one attends...