Just spent $1418.07 but have nothing to show for it... Yet!

RTTR

silly Monitor Audio RS-8's you want to buy, GO KLIPSCH and never look back. I don't care if you can't get them locally within 250 miles.

LOL you ARE funny. 250 miles? Try 1300 kilometers. The RS8s are nice, not silly as you say having never even seen them let alone hear them. I'm sure the Klipsch RF sereis are killer. But with no way to listen before I buy, I won't buy them!

I gave Underground Sound a ring today, to see what the latest details are on my preamp, as it's been 36 days since I purchased it, all they could tell me was "We just received a huge shipment in today which hasn't been scanned yet, which has some NAD components in it., we'll give you a call tomorrow if it turns up."

This place is beginning to piss me off, I was promised 3 weeks it never came, I was promised 1 month it never came, I was promised a week after 1 month it never came. I don't think I will be returning to them for the purchase of the NAD C542 CD player.

Personally, I'd cancel the order and find a better establishment to do business with.

F 'em! It doesn't seem to me they have you in their best interest.

Mike

I wish I could just say F 'em, but they are the only NAD dealer within 300 miles. Which means if I do want that CD player, I'm gonna have to deal with them.

RTTR,

Congrats on a GREAT amp! I have the exact same model for a couple of years now, and am very very happy with it. It's light weight kind of throws you off, but when you hear the amp... SMOOTH!

You know you can actually get it going without a pre amp... It has two inputs in the back from the pre amp... Fixed and Variable, I think. So you can actually plug the CD player directly into the Variable side and control the volume with the variable level knob.

This is just a temporary solution, till the preamp actually arrives... but till tehn, at least you can hook it up.

Good luck and enjoy!

Fauzi

RTTR!

Oops! I guess I just read page one of this post! [:$] Sorry to hear about your troubles.

As good as the combo is, I'm prone to agree with some of the others. No matter how far you have to travel for NAD, getting treatment like this is just not worth it.

I would STRONGLY recommend telling them you want to cancel the order and get a full cash refund immediately. Knowing retaling like I do, they probably won't want to give any money back, so, at the very least, you can push him enough to give you a *SIGNIFICANT* discount on either this combo or the CD player. Just be in their face repeatedly about how this is the worst treatment you've ever gotten and that NAD would be very unhappy to hear some of the things that I have to say.

Trust me when I tell you that they can not afford an unhappy customer like you. Milk it!

Good luck, man. Hope to hear the good news soon.

Fauzi

RTTR,

Congrats on a GREAT amp! I have the exact same model for a couple of years now, and am very very happy with it. It's light weight kind of throws you off, but when you hear the amp... SMOOTH!

You know you can actually get it going without a pre amp... It has two inputs in the back from the pre amp... Fixed and Variable, I think. So you can actually plug the CD player directly into the Variable side and control the volume with the variable level knob.

This is just a temporary solution, till the preamp actually arrives... but till tehn, at least you can hook it up.

Good luck and enjoy!

Fauzi

I've been kind of using my PC as a preamp since I got the amp, doing what you said with the variable inputs, yeah it's kind of a hassle reaching around the back to turn a little knob, a little knob that wasn't really designed to be used as a master volume knob anyway, but it works for the time being. I am crossing my fingers that the preamp is in today.

I have always found NAD stuff to be amusing. My dad used to have a NAD preamp and poweramp back in the 80s, and whenever he mentions them now, my brother and I joke about his two nads...lol. That was my favorite part of the company. Beyond that I never had much interest, lol.

-Jon

Congrats on the NADS!

Does this sound kinda funny to you guys! I bout fell outa my chair- read it outloud!

ROTFLMFAO- Thanks Dee, you make my day, probably not on purpose!

Michael

The NAD C540 was the first cd player in my 2 channel system. I liked the C540 so much that when they came out with the C542 I bought it without hearing it first. I was not disapointed it had better bass and the midrange was improved, smoother.

A local audio store let me bring their demo Jolida cd player home and I did a comparison between the two. The Jolida was just the regular model with stock tubes in it. Overall the Jolida sounded a bit smoother in the midrange, bass was about the same but I did not like the treble. So for almost twice as much I did not think the Jolida was twice the player. Now I realize with tube rolling it can sound much better but I wanted to do a comparison between a stock Jolida and a NAD C542 since the C542 can not be tube rolled.

I am thinking about buying the AH!Super Tjoeb with upsampler later this year to try a tube cd player. I am going to Japan next month so the money I am spending on the trip would have gone to the AH! cd player so I will not be able to get it until later this year or early next year.

Hope everything works out for you!! I would tell the dealer you bought from that you want a discount price on the C542. Check on the web for authorized NAD dealers and find the best price and ask your dealer to match it.