• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh my, that is quite a bit of stuffing....you don't want to cover the

holes in front of the ports at all. And you will want to squish that 3"

of stuffing so that it's like 1" at most thick or maybe more like 3/4".

Once you get a larger volume of free moving air you should notice a lot

more bass coming out.

yes blocking the ports with that much stuff acts like those semi ports on parts express. You should really have a direct access from the speakers to the ports to not hinder the air movement. Yes soundwaves can go through the stuffing but air gets blocked.

Since the tops are removable, you will have to use something to make sure they seal well when screwed down. You can't have air leaks there either. Everything adds up to help or hinder.

Bruce

Doc, Can I just use some 1" insulation

board like found on a/c ducts? I just glue some of that up on the top

if you think that will work better.

I have no clue [:D] If it's the stuff I'm thinking of I think it might

be a little bit too dense? If it's cheap why don't you just try it [;)]

In fact, I would have started with no insulation at all and then only

added it if there were internal resonances mushing up the sound. If you

wanted to be real creative you could figure out which frequencies were

resonating and then correlate the wavelength to a distance between two

parallel surfaces and figure out where exactly the insulation needed to

go.

I agree with Doc on this. I would start with no stuffing. Now with your situation, you have the midhorn and tweeter inside the bass bin. Certain types of material can prevent unwanted sound from these drivers coming out of the port. Go naked first man.

Roto. Yes I'm using a computer. The main reason was to get the drivers balanced and to get a flat response with the ports. But, yes, the 7" sound the best to me. Little lower than a cornwall would do. I know that others that did your mod settled with 7" as well...isn't this right Marvel.

jc

I remembered with no stuffing, the bass seem somewhat distored. Also serious vibrations on the top. I was thinking last night, what do you guys think about using some stuff called egg crate? It is used as a bed coushing. You can get this stuff at Wal-Mart or Target. It is made of foam and has fingers sticking out.

Santa

Santa,

Since you already have stuffing at hand, try half of what you have in there. Put it around the sides and frint of the cabinet (where the horn mounts to the front baffle). Just make sure the space between the opening in the doghouse and the ports is not obstructed in any way.

Bruce

Ok, Bruce

The ports are not block as bad as is looks in the photos and the bass is really not bad. I will take your advice and report back Monday and see if there is any difference.

To answer you question from an early post. I will stain them a red oak finish and put a gloss clear on them. A friend of mine heard them last night and like them better than the factory LS. So far I have a 3 to 1. 3 for me and 1 for the factory LS's. Maybe they are just being nice!

Santa

Think I will call them La Santa's!!!

A friend of mine heard them last night and like them better than the factory LS. So far I have a 3 to 1. 3 for me and 1 for the factory LS's. Maybe they are just being nice!

Santa

Think I will call them La Santa's!!!

Very cool! You are the one who has to be happy with them though. That is ALL that matters. As long as you like them and are satisfied.

Bruce

Roto.

I think that is a very nice job.

Just a quick review. So did you stick with 7" for port length? These are 4" diameter ports....right?

Do you think the ported is more appealing than the stock La Scala?

jc