Ethnic music I appreciate: (corny)

Daddy Dee

Disclaimer: If you don't want to read something that's corny, click "back" on your browser right now.

Some months ago a buddy of mine told me about this Celtic concert he had recorded on his Tivo when it was aired on the local PBS fundraiser week.

I told him, yeh, sounds good, but really wasn't too interested in seeing the show.

A month or so ago I ordered the CD from the show "Celtic Woman" and thought, wow this is good stuff. I'm not much of a soprano type appreciator, but this was nicely done, sweet blended harmonies and solos with choir backup and nice orchestra. Kind of Enyaesque.

The music is definitely contemporary, but does have clear roots in Irish/Celtic folk music.

Some years ago I had been surprised to discover that the blue grass mountain music had Irish roots. I'd heard this said, but didn't realize it until I would listen (occasionally) to the weekly Celtic music programs on the local NPR station.

I finally did get around to watching the program my buddy had recorded, which is the concert from which the CD is sourced. It was produced kind of like a Yanni show... lots of face on spotlight flashes and hundreds of camera changes from the orchestra, soloists, percussionists, director, audience reaction... took a little while to get comfortable with something so slick in it's production. But settling in, it was so sweet.

One thing, in our culture, we are so accustomed to seeing anorexic women, dressed in bikini leather, dancing with thrashing arms and pelvic thrusts, I hardly care to see anything on video, even if the music is catchy. And that is the occasional pop tune I can abide. Surfing channels I occasionally catch flashes of hip-hop/rap videos and that are completely over the top.

Anyway, the contrast was startling and pleasing. Women dressed in evening gowns and classically trained voices, but not operatic. (I've never been smart or sophisticated enough to appreciate opera). The sweet sound was entrancing.

All said and done, it is nice to have a sense of pride in one's ethnic heritage. Along with the sound of fine music. Wow, what a country.

Dee--

I didn't see the corn! Did you leave that part out, or am I as corny as you? Last week we went to see Karan Casey and her band. She was the lead singer for Solas (I think I sent you a CD of theirs?). She was (very) pregnant, so the show did not include pelvic thrusts (she wasn't THAT far along ;^)

Thanks for the feedback, this just hadn't been up on my radar screen. I had coffee with a guy this morning and he'd watched the show a couple of times.

Yes, my mother was a Dunning.

Some definite soul music here.

Also, cool, IMO, it's not American. These are Irish artists in an Irish concert, though it is also on the road in the US.

In fact, I liked it so much I checked out ticket prices for the show a month from now in Memphis. $195 for decent seats. $150 for non decent seats. Was thinking about an anniversary outing for my wife. However, I think she would be delighted for me to fix dinner and we could watch the DVD on Heritage sound.

"there is no point in being Irish, unless you know the world will break your heart". --anonymous

I didn't know you were Irish! Me mither wus a Murphy!

God is Irish! Notice how many prayers begin with O'God!

DRBILL

Well praise be! Hartnett blood here, even related to the Hartnett priest up for sainthood from Dallas county. You know of course that I hardly qualify as a saint.....but one per family is quite enough.