Murphy's Oil Soap for Reference Line?

I would be careful with how you clean them. I suppose if you used a soft cloth dipped into a murphy's oil soap and water mix and VERY well wrung out - you could go over the veneer surfaces - followed by a dry cloth to wipe dry. I would be VERy carefull around the front baffle - MDF and water are NOT a good mix.

With the finish on top of the wood veneer - most products made this way recommend just a clean dry cloth.

I'm not sure it's recommended for an oiled finish. I use it on my lacquered cornwalls with pleasing results but have never tried it with an oiled finish. It does make the grain darker and stand out more. I like that effect, others may not.

MarkBK, MDF handles water alot better than say particle board. It will not flake off or break down like that cheap stuff due to the better glue and smaller (dust) particles with more surface area to cling on to)

Also is the rf series oiled or stained and sealed with a poly?

I had hear the stuff mentioned on the forum some time ago and checked it out in the grocery store. That showed it was to be mixed with a lot of water. My impression was that it is just some sort of detergent. My recall is that the label said not to use on untreated wood. I consider my Klipsch speakers WO to have not enough treatment as it is. I'm sure not going to put on any water.

There can't be too much soap in the product because soap is is a form of treated fat and is not liquid. I think the product is not particularly good for wood because of the water.

Tonight I looked at the website. You can Google to it. It's used to clean wood floors. Presumable these have a thick coat of varnish. I infer it is indeed mostly detergent.

The MSDS says that it contains hydrogen peroxide and ethanol. The peroxide has some bleaching qualities. You've seen that in cosmetic application. It is also a major component in so-called color safe bleaches like Chlorox II. My recall of chemistry is that it is H202. It decomposes to water and oxygen. The oxygen is a bleach.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't use this stuff on any wood. I wouldn't use it on a dark surface.

I don't own any black lacquer speakers. Maybe Murphy's is okay if dilluted as instructed and used on a barely damp cloth, as our buddy above said. I don't see that it will improve wood or lacquer.

As far as aroma, I'm sure you're joking.

Best,

Gil

Murphy%20Oil%20Soap%20Liquid%20.pdf

ah h2o2..... at 30% that about the highest you can get due to the inherit propertie to lose a oxygen molecule readily and turn into water...... so the 70% is usually water.... but the thing is it also loses a hydrogen sometimes hence the no sparks when open. But do not worry that is laboratory grade... I mean 30% will turn your hair white and make you bald too.....

Hair treatment is 5-9%

the one used for minor cuts is 3%

oxygen tends to bleach things white.....

Ethanol is the drinking form of alcohol which is going to be used for cars in the future.

ah h2o2......... but the thing is it also loses a hydrogen sometimes hence the no sparks when open. .

I don't think so. Of course it has been a long time since I was in a lab. It kicks off a single Oxygen molecule. Oxygen hates to hang around as a single molecule so it very actively tries to find something to bond. This is where the bleaching comes in.

My kids loved to tease me. "Sure, Dad. Chemistry was easy for you. When you took it there were only four elements!"

DRBILL

=

My kids loved to tease me. "Sure, Dad. Chemistry was easy for you. When you took it there were only four elements!"

DRBILL

hahaha that is a good one

Hydrogen peroxide decomposes naturally into oxygen and water. This

property means that caution must be taken when opening a bottle that

has been stored for a long period of time. Be sure not to open an old

bottle near a flame or spark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

oops if forgot that the hydrogen does not leak unless you add a metal that the hydrogen peroxide attacks with the oxygen to the metal (say iron to cause rust) and then releases the hydrogen bonds)

To the original ? If your speakers have been exposed to excess dirt or

grime the Murphy's is fine as long as mixed right and used with only

dampened microfiber rag.I cleaned some used 20's(that were pretty clean

already,just to freshen)and it made em' look great.Note,I use only on

wood thats been sealed(varnish,laquer etc.)

To shine my speakers I use Gibson guitar polish,very nice shine with no oily residue,again only sealed woods.

Becuase Murphy's has been a long time fav of mine for cleaning many things - I did do my Ref's the other night. I too used a micro fiber well wrung - followed by a dry micro fiber to wipe dry. Since they Refs are finished - it does work well - but DO use caution. Dry buff leaves a nice sheen.