Oppo Upconv DVD players and HDDVD

RM1111

Hey everybody. I was thinking of getting the Oppo Upconversion DVD player. How much of a difference will upconversion make. I have a 42" HD ready projection tv and a ok sony 5 disc dvd player right now. Is it worth it? I know that HDdvd/blu-ray is coming out soon, but how long will the format wars go on? When are some of you going to purchase a HD player?

Thanks,

Ray

I cannot say anything about the upconversion, but HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will take a while in terms of format wars (DEF could not tell you when that will be over.....a few days or a few years). I would wait a few years until the dust settles before even thinking of purchasing an HD player. There will be bugs, and it is also probable that the first players will sound inferior to newer generation players (like when the cd-player came out).

According to my guru friend the OPPO is at the top for quality and performance.You can also experience HD now with the JVC SRDVD-100U player. It will show 2200 x 2200 pictures jpg, HD-WMV files, M2t , tp, ts and more HD files created in video editor applications at 1080I or 720P. It will also show them over your network connection or a plug in USB drive, Fat 32, NTFS. It will also play MP-3. Mp-4, and about a thousand others. I know because I have one and it does everything it says. $370.00 at B & H Photo. It will also show HD-m2t and HD-WMV files burned as data files to your DVD discs (Nero) along with jpg files.

I have done this and it works. It will also work with Dual Layer discs the same way. It is made by IODATA and they use the Avelink setup for the network. When I got it a few days ago by UPS the box was banged up pretty bad but I tried it anyway no problems. You can download a whole bunch of HD-WMV's from Microsoft for free and look at them through the network from your hard drive or burn them data wise to a standard DVD disc and play them in the player. If you pictures are taken at around 2000 x 2000 resolution you can drop them in the avelink network file or burn them to the DVD disc again. It has DVI output and Component but the only lacking thing is 5.1, SACD, DTS. It has stereo PCM and Dolby with optical and coax output. I will not do 1080P but will do 720P and 1080i. This thing does everything I expected it to do. Going through the menu is a bit slow. I ran the optical to my Denon VDP input and the PCM to the TV.

JJK

I have the OPPO and I love it. I am using it with a 61" DLP HDTV designed by InFocus and manufactured by RCA (InFocus 61md10). The OPPO upscales to both 720p and 1080i but since the native resolution of the InFocus is 720 I am upscaling to 720p. It also has an audio delay which is a nice feature because the audio delay circutiry of my pre-amp is a bit cludgy to work with.

It replaces a pretty nice Toshiba model.

I am using a DVI-HDMI cable to output the signal to my TV and I forget if I am using Toslink for the audio or coax digital.

As I recall it has some SACD capabilities but check the website to be certain. It does have six RCA audio outputs which if I remember correctly are there for SACD so they don't have to worry about digital audio copying.

I have not loaded the latest firmware and I should get around to doing that. I am really impressed with OPPO's willingness to continue to release firmware upgrades rather than sell a 'new and improved' model every year. My only nit with it is if you want to open the drawer you have to push and hold the button for something like a full second. I'm always giving it a quick push and then when nothing happens I have to push it again and hold it. Opens right away if I hit the remote button (which I frequently do when I really want to power off instead.)

As for HD DVDs, I agree with the other posters that it will take some time for the dust to settle and there will be plenty of media out there in the regular format. Considering how cheap DVD prices are getting I expect they will practically be giving away SD DVDs in a year.

I would get a Panasonic 77 or 97 or wait for the Oppo to come out with their HDMI version. Their component out is only 480i, as well.

You are more likely to gain from a higher bit rate RGB connection (HDMI) for a digital display than any upscaling claims made by most DVD mfgs.

I would get a Panasonic 77 or 97 or wait for the Oppo to come out with their HDMI version. Their component out is only 480i, as well.

You are more likely to gain from a higher bit rate RGB connection (HDMI) for a digital display than any upscaling claims made by most DVD mfgs.

Those Panasonic models have a lot of supporters. I think their prices have come down more than the OPPO so now they are pretty close to the same price.

As Westcott points out, the OPPO's Faroudja circuit is in line with the DVI output so if you are using component cables you will not have the benefit of the upscaling. But, if your HDTV has the ability to take advantage of upscaling then why would you use component cables?

The HDMI output of the Pannies make it easier to use HDMI switching in a receiver. I am not aware of any AV receivers that do DVI-HDMI switching but there are plenty of higher-end receivers (and pre-amps) that do HDMI switching.

Although the OPPO reviews have placed it at the top of the food chain (relatively close to $3,500 universal players) the Pannies have advantages that should be evaluated before rushing to the OPPO.

I pointed out its component shortcomings for those who plan to switch to BlueRay or HD DVD in the coming months. I plan to move my player to a display elsewhere and it has component inputs. I guess I do not have much "disposable" income so my equipment tends to get reused.

Seems like a weird thing not to support it by Oppo though.

When I was evaluating it, the reviews and comments at www.avsforum.com tended to focus on those two items:

1) Why DVI instead of HDMI?

2) Why is the Faroudja circuitry in the digital video (DVI) output path only instead of before the component / DVI split?

I don't know why but I am sure that some of the Pannie supporters were influenced by those design decisions.

1) There are several good reasons. Insures HDCP compliance (not all DVI connections are), higher RGB bit depth (Component and DVI are limited to an 8 bit RGB signal) which can help digitial displays eliminate countouring artifacts (HDMI can carry up to 12 bit RGB signal), and other things like audio and single cable convenience.

2) I have never heard an explanation but it is baffling.

With DVD reaching a time where sales will decline, it seems strange they would not have put out an HDMI design before HD DVD and BlueRay are released.

First let me say that I have both the oppo and the panasonics that are listed here. The Oppo has the best picture quility, it is better than the pany's. This is due to some after processes that the oppo does that the pany's don't do as well.

Also they only put the chips in the dvi digital stream so they wouldn't get sued by the movie comp. like LG did. It also keeps the price down. There support is by far the best that I have seen yet. Specially because it is a cheap player. Plus the format for the upscaling and HD-DVD and Blue-ray has not been set. Will the first HDMI players support 1080P and pass all audio through as well. I don't think so. Will all the early tv's work with the HDMI that have HDMI, I don't think so. Everyone will see some realy problems with the early players and tv's in this format. It will take a long time yet intill the HD formats are main stream and this will keep the sales high in the dvd bracket.

The pany's do have some advan., such as they loading device will work with all discs. Plus they do more processing in the audio side. Hence the higher prices.