reciever question (speaker setup, RF7 series)

--udson

Hi all. I've been the happy owner of the RF7 line for about 10 months now. I am a high end audio newb and would like to get more out of the sound.

Last night I tinkered with my Yamaha 2500 settings a bit. I played with crossover, a little parametric adjustment, and speaker size. This was during a TV program in the commercials, so I wasn't very maticulate or thorough, and the quality difference between ads was great and the TV show not the best either (auto racing).

It seemed like the more I played with the settings, the less I knew what sounded good or how to get there. My main question is whether or not to pump bass only out of the RSW15, or over all the speakers, plus the sub?

I also had had my speakers all set to "small", and changed them to large. Is this a common/proper thing to do, or vice versa? I seem to get more fullness over the front speakers, but a bit less clarity from the bass in general. It does seem a bit more accurate though. I don't know if that makes sense. I have yet to pick out some really good movie titles and really spend time with it - my problem is actually finding the time.

I'm concerned I've spent all this money to get great sound, and do not have the experience to squeeze it out on my own. Would it be worthwhile getting my system calibrated by a pro? And how much can that cost (and if you live in Central Florida, can you recommend anyone?) Alternatively, are there some good resources on the net for learning how to tune up your sound system?

Thanks for any help,

][udson

The "large" vs "small" setting can be debated ad nauseum. THX calls for a "small" setting and mains crossed over at 80Hz. The sub handles the .1 channel and everything else under 80 Hz. Some people think that crossing RF-7's over at 80 Hz is a waste of speaker. Try watching a movie with your mains set to small (or just parts of a movie for reference), then watch the same passages with your mains set to large. See which setting you like the best and use it. Your equipment will sound differently in someone elses house, so it's hard for someone to recommend a setting that will sound good to you in your house. (BTW, I x-over my RF-7's at 80 and set them to small)

[udson"]

Last night I tinkered with my Yamaha 2500

settings a bit. I played with crossover, a little parametric

adjustment, and speaker size. This was during a TV program in the

commercials, so I wasn't very maticulate or thorough, and the

quality difference between ads was great and the TV show not the best

either (auto racing).

It seemed like the more I played with the settings, the less I knew

what sounded good or how to get there. My main question is whether or

not to pump bass only out of the RSW15, or over all the speakers, plus

the sub?

It is sorta like smelling every parfume/cologne at your local macy's

after three or four different smells your nose starts to lose the

distinsctness and they all smell the same. Hence the coffee beans

But you should get one or two cds or songs that your know and have a good reference point to listen to and then compare.