ALK crossovers?

jeffgeorge

Karen-

Al's crossovers resulted in greater clarity and definition in the midrange and particularly in the highs. The transition between woofer and squawker seems smoother. I was replacing 20 year or more old crossovers so it's hard to tell what the changes will be in your Klipschorns. I think a lot depends on the condition of the present crossovers. Als parts are first rate and a definite improvement over the original parts. I believe he offers a money back guarantee.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems

Thanks John and Soundog,

All info is appreciated. We're in the same position as you Soundog. We got our Klipschorns around 1975 (oh my, that's almost 30 years!). We've hauled them around to many inappropriate rooms over that time. They started out in one approximately 10 feet square. We finally have a decent, though not ideal, space for them and have just upgraded our electronics. As soon as we're liquid again we'll be ordering from Al. We tossed around the idea of build-it-yourself but passed on the idea - too busy now. Anyways, any other comments would be welcome.

Thanks again,

Karen

Karen,

I have a set of Al's crossovers (the very first pair he sold, in fact, if memory serves correctly Smile.gif ) on my La Scalas.

They made a very significant improvement in several areas. That's not what this post is about, however... Wink.gif

When you get the crossovers, and you replace the existing (AA?) crossovers on your KHorns, do yourself a favor and DO NOT mount the ALK crossover internally and stick the KHorn back in the corner until you've had a change to mess with it. Al's crossovers have a cool feature - the autoformer driving the squawker has multiple taps, and you can shift the output of the midrange up or down a few dB relative to the high and low end by chaning the output tap you've selected. I spent a few days listening to my La Scalas before I finally decided which tap sounded the most bestest with the most music. Al's crossovers will dramatically reduce the colorations in the midrange compared to your stock crossovers, and your initial impression might be that the midrange is shelved down relative to the high and low end, and you'll bump up the level by switching the tap. Actually, the midrange isn't down with the crossovers set as delivered by Al - it just sounds much more open, and much less colored, and with the peakly colorations gone, you might think the overall midrange level has dropped. Or, depending upon the kind of music you listen to, the lack of colorations in the midrange might make it sound "louder" than it used to, and you'll back off the level initially.

Leave the crossover out someplace (sitting on top of the midrange/tweeter assembly?) where you can get at it for a few days, so you can experiment, before you hide it away.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I bought a pair of Al's crossovers for my 1976 Klipschorns, and have had them for just a week. They sound so good that I hate it when I have to turn off the stereo. And they are also wonderful to look at. Makes me wish the sides of my Khorns were transparent. Thanks, Al.

I bought a pair of Al's crossovers a few months ago for my Khorns. All I can say is WOW!!! Even my wife noticed the difference! Now, she will actually sit down and listen for hours, even when I am not home!

My best friend came over last week to hear them. He liked what he heard so much, that he bought a pair of khorns, and is going to be ordering Al's crossovers shortly.

Thanks Al, I am in love with my Khorns again!!!!