Connector for thicker speaker wire to Heritage crossovers?

meagain

SF - Yes, we found the yellow spades (this is an old thread)... They handle 10-12g. I'm trying to recall how tight the wire fit in these spade holes. Maybe the monster is 10g? It's the same monster wire that Klipsch used in the newer AK networks to the drivers. I was looking around at the BlueJeans site and see their Belden wire is 10 or 12g. If I buy new cable seeking peace of mind.... I want to know if the guage would be a downgrade or upgrade in size. We have 14g Home Depot grey covered wire on our rears and our monster wire seems a jump thicker.... seems more of a leap from the 14g to the monster than just 2 points so I'm wondering if it's 10. It's from the 80's or 90's - Like Klipsch used.

???

I'm running 8 gauge Karma Kable (from knukonceptz.com) to my La Scalas. One of the local car audio shops had gold-plated mini spade connectors that both fit the connector strip and accept 8 gauge cable, plus they come with red and black insulating boots for a finished look. They were only $1.25CAD apiece.

Does the gold spades 'just' prevent corrosion? Or does it bring something else to the table? I doubt we'd hear any difference between a gold vs. cheap metal spade, but I want to do right by everything to cover my butt.

Putting things into perspective...copper is a better conductor than gold. But copper is subject to oxidation over extended periods. Gold much less so.

Gold plated connectors were originally developed for environments where access was not easily accomplished and where the integrity of the pressure-fit connection was critical over long periods of inattention. Space comes to mind. The idea being that the lack of oxidation and the reduced source of potential problems over the lifecycle of the equipment of the connection resistance would offset the slightly higher resistance of the connection itself.

On the other hand, copper, with its higher conductivity was still the metal of choice for connections where relatively easy access allowed simple and easy cleaning on, say, an annual basis. Not really a big deal if you have access to the connections.

Well, as things go, accessories are the highest profit margin source of income in the audio world, and as each are looking for a strategic advantage, it wasn't long before "gold plated" devices were discovered. And the rest is history. Now everything is 'gold plated'. If I remember correctly, even my cat was offered with a gold plated option.

Is it necessary or even preferable? Is your system in space? Do you have difficulty scheduling a flight convenient with your lifestyle? Its your call.And before deciding that gold is a necessary component, just remember that it is a compromise, one sacrificing a little conductivity for reduced oxidation/resistance of the interface.

But I will also suggest that there is a potential difference between connectors based upon the construction methods between such processes as gold plated versus gold clad. Methods of bonding vary creating differences in the resistance of the copper-gold or nickel-gold interface. Is this something that you need worry about? Not necessarily. But if you are convinced that gold is necessarily better, you might want to become become concerned, as the integrity of this interface has as much potential to offset the advantages of the coating as the advantages of the coating itself presents.

Why would we have to worry about oxidation in a "space"

environment? ...no oxygen up there. Sorry for being a

pain.[:)]

Good question!

I'll go you one further! Why would they be using a pressure fit connection rather than crimped or soldered connections! Do you think vibration just might be a problem on liftoff?

Actually, corrosion is a problem in space.

Here is a very cursory quote on the issue:

"...the corrosion of materials occurring in outer space... Instead of moisture and oxygen acting as the primary corrosion causes, the materials exposed to outer space are subjected to vacuum, bombardment by ultraviolet light and x-rays, high-energy charged particles (mostly electrons and protons from the solar wind). In the upper layers of the atmosphere (between 90-800 km), the atmospheric atoms, ions and free radicals, most notably atomic oxygen, play major role. The concentration of atomic oxygen depends on altitude and solar activity, as the bursts of ultraviolet radiation cause photo dissociation of molecular oxygen. Between 160 and 560 km, the atmosphere consists of about 90% atomic oxygen.

Corrosion in space has the highest impact on spacecrafts with moving

parts. Early satellites tended to develop problems with seizing

bearings. Now the bearings are coated with thin layer of gold.

Different materials resist corrosion in space differently. For example, aluminum is slowly eroded by atomic oxygen, while gold and platinum

are highly corrosion-resistant. Gold-coated foils and thin layers of

gold on exposed surfaces are therefore used to protect the spacecraft

from the harsh environment. Thin layers of silicon dioxide

deposited on the surfaces can also protect metals from the effects of

atomic oxygen; eg, the Starshine 3 satellite aluminum front mirrors

were protected that way. However, the protective layers are subject to

erosion by eg. micrometeorites.

Many plastics are considerably sensitive to atomic oxygen and ionizing radiation.

Coatings resistant to atomic oxygen are a common protection method, especially for plastics. Silicone-based paints and coatings are frequently employed, due to their excellent resistance to radiation and atomic oxygen. However, the silicone durability is somewhat limited, as the surface exposed to atomic oxygen is converted to silica which is brittle and tends to crack.

The out gassing of volatile silicones on low Earth orbit

devices leads to presence of a cloud of contaminants around the

spacecraft. Together with atomic oxygen bombardment, this may lead to

gradual deposition of thin layers of carbon-containing silicon dioxide.

Their poor transparency is a concern in case of optical systems and solar panels. Deposits of up to several micrometers were observed after 10 years of service on the solar panels of the Mir space station.

The process of space corrosion is being actively investigated. One of the efforts aims to design a sensor based on zinc oxide,

able to measure the amount of atomic oxygen in the vicinity of the

spacecraft; the sensor relies on drop of electrical conductivity of

zinc oxide as it absorbs further oxygen.

Other sources of problems for structures subjected to outer space is the out gassing of the materials, and erosion and redeposition of the materials by sputtering caused by fast atoms and micrometeorites. Another major concern, though of non-corrosive kind, is material fatigue caused by cyclical heating and cooling and associated thermal expansion mechanical stresses."

BTW, simply as a heads up...

I happened to just check on the price of the OFHC copper speaker cable at both Lowes and Home Depot during the past two days as I ran by both, and folks, if you are spending the near $1 per foot price, you are being ripped off!

Seriously, for the 'same' cable, Parts Express is selling it for < than $.50 per foot (plus their absurd shipping charge).

And BlueJeans has the Belden 5000 series 10 gauge copper for ~ 38 cents per foot as well!!! A great bargain.

So please shop around!