thebes

Sorry I didn't get this up yesterday couldn't get on the forum. Don't

know if the fault was at my end or growing pains fromt he updated forum

software. In any event:

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of

music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp

etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

***** Prison Blues and Songs, recorded by Alan Lomax at the Mississippi and Louisiana State Pnenitentiaries. Blues, cd.

Alan Lomax is probably the foremost reason we continue to enjoy the

blues today. His series of recordings of the unknown blues and

folk artists for the Library is one of our nation's treasures. Just

think of some of titles recorded on this set and you'll know what I

mean:

Stackerlee, Prison Blues, Lonesome Blues, They'll Miss me When I'm Gone, and Rock Me Mama to name a few.

Suprisingly well recorded.

So what do you have to share this week?

BOB MARLEY and the WAILERS ;Live at the Rainbow DVD 5.1 DTS

This is a 1977 show at London's Rainbow Theatre. Marley was the reason I ever began listening to regaee music, still to this day, he is the only one I listen to. This show was around the time that Exodus was high on the charts worldwide.This is a 2disc set, one disc; the Rainbow show, the other disc; a documentary of Bob's life, the usual stuff, interviews with family, and friends, unseen footage of Bob. It's a good look at the man, and his music.

Now the show, first, I bought this on VHS tape years ago, it really isn't anything new, but I liked the show so much, I had to re-buy it.VHS was dolby surround, and it was good,but once I heard it in DTS5.1, forget it, whole new show! From the opening of Trenchtown Rock, to ending with EXODUS these boys cook. To me the Wailers never sounded better, what a band they became. Fine musicians all, Junior Marvin on lead guitar, sweet playing, and the I-Threes, great backing vocals, and finally, Bob Marley, what can I say, this was his night. Most of the show draws from, Natty Dread, very political based songs, some of his best song writing. Bob prowling the stage, singing behind the girls, just a great performance by a true star, backed by a fine band.

The songs are like greatest hit package; Them Belly Full; I shot the sheriff; Rebel Music; Lively up Yourself; No Woman No Cry; Jamming; Crazy Baldhead; WAR/ No more Trouble; the Heaten, just non-stop Classics. If you like Bob Marley and the Wailers, this is a MUST HAVE. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I do; Excuse me while I light this Spliff!

Listening to:

Penguin Cafe

Preludes, Airs and Yodels

Not sure where this group fits in: Acoustic experimental?

CD

Popularized in the movie "Napolean Dynamite" was the group's hallmark tune "Music for a Found Harmonium" and this album has 19 short but snappy tunes, an interesting variety of textures and some interesting sounds. Not an earthshaker for recording quality but not bad either.

$4.99 deal at the local CVS:

Three Dog Night "Harmony"

Classic Rock

Alot of great songs. I got "Naturally" a while back at a truck stop no less for $5, and loved it, so it justified this impulse buy. I remember snickering about Three Dog Night in high school when I was deep into Yes and Led Zep, and thought 3Dog was pop/crap. But its darn entertaining--these guys rocked!

Edguy - Rocket Ride.

This is the newest effort by Edguy, an excellent prog/power metal band. I was impressed with this disk, especially track #4 - "Matrix".

(plus, I wanted to see if this dang new forum will work - no, Thebes, it is not on your end - the forum was acting up last weekend.)

Wow, I am amazed that I can actually log in again.. I was beginning to think I might never be able to bore you with my drivel.

Here's my album of the week.

It's called The Last Set at Newport with Dave Brubeck on piano and the fabulous quartet of Gerry Mulligan on baritone sax, Alan Dawson on drums and Jack Six on bass.

The story behind this July 3rd 1971 Last Set at Newport is that the previous performers had been excellent and very amplified electric music. (Bill Chase and his jazz/rock group) The story told by George Wein on the albums back cover notes is that Brubeck was "visibly affected" by the sheer volume of the previous performance and the enormity of the electronic equipment on the stage. Brubeck asked to have his sound turned up as loud as possible so that they didn't entirely underwhelm the audience.

Wein told Brubeck "forget it and just go out there and wail."

Well, wail they did. This is a performance that is just marvelous. It is some of the best Brubeck work, Blues for Newport and Take Five and the intesity just builds and builds and comes to a fabulous cressendo of piano and sax brilliance of two masters in their prime.

Something about Newport that just makes magic happen.

h18544oix91.jpg

You can buy this on CD, but I like my original 33rpm Atlantic stereo copy just fine that I see I paid $4.99 for before tax in Cambridge Mass, Harvard Co-op in 1972.

I saw Dave play there last year, in his 80s now and still a fabulous musician.

If you love music, you gots to love Dave Brubeck. Very accessible for those looking for a good starting point into the world of jazz.

Nice to be back...