Thanks

I was recently at Circuit City and they stated the iFi was

discontinued. I have a hard time believing this. But noticed Apple no

longer had it listed at there site. So whats up ? Im thinking that it

is being updated and all the sale prices I have seen where to clear out

remaining inventory.

Can someone shed some light on the situation

Thanks

The only obvisious reason Apple stores stopped carrying the Klipsch iFi are probably the name, price is too close to the Apple Hi-FI. Performance wise the comparison of the two completely different speakers is a joke (like Dan Frakes reviews ;-), and Apple couldn't stand to sell a decent speaker system product that makes their own product look inferior.

I'm sure Apple Computer somehow pressured Circuit City to stop carrying a competitor of their Hi-Fi because the time and pricing was identical when clearing out Klipsch iFi inventory. There are other stores still carrying the Klipsch iFi still. CompUSA, and Microcenter come to mind. So since this was a key product introduction in 2005, do you really think its a discontiuned product this early in its life?

BTW Jay I don't think it is discontinued since Klipsch just released it for reselling in England a couple months back.

I had a feeling it was not being discontinued but an update would not

have surprised me. There are alot of people who hate the remote. Plus I

thought they might have tried redesigning the dock for 5G iPods.

Granted there is an adaptor but I have seen stuff like redsigns happen

shortly after products are introduced.

Good to know it's still available.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

it has been discontinued, i talked to klipsch tech support on the phone and they said that the iFi is no more.

Well the Klipsch site says they are unavailable, but then there is a lot of iFi speaker system in distribution channel still? (buy them quick [:)] ) Perhaps Klipsch has a new iFi replacement product for future unannounced large video iPod from Apple and had to redo the control pod so the Klipsch iFi is end of life. I'm still amazed that they haven't replaced the Promedia 2.1 THX yet (too hot to touch heat sink), or the "too much hiss" GMX series. Maybe we got a whole new series of personal speaker systems coming guys!

Well, the tech support guy said that the iFi's were closed out to Costco and BJ's, so I wouldn't say that they are "in the distribution chanel."

For right now a froogle scan shows that there are a lot of mail order dealers that were carring iFi system and still have some in stock. Hence buy them quick.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see what they do. The iFi was more expensive than anything when it came out and it developed a nice following, due to its great SQ and the ridiculous pricing you could get on it.

Now other systems are hitting even higher price points. Will Klipsch take it up a notch or will they decide people won't pay that much for an improvement? Time will tell. One thing is for sure - I'll take it over 2 I-Groove's anyday.

Why?? no news with any new version yet huh? I hope Klipsch will release a much better iPod version soon. :)

Well going by history it will probably take Klipsch Multimedia group a long time before they realize their competition is eating them up. Going by release dates for major product groups represented on forums. ProMedia 5.1 (Ultra) Sept. 2003, Promedia Ultra 2.0 July 2005, Promedia 4.1 Feb 2002, Promedia 2.1 Nov 2002, GMX series 2003, Klipsch iFi June 2005, Klipsch iGroove Sept 2005.

So only recent personal speaker systems from last year are Promedia Ultra 2.0, Klipsch iFi, then Klipsch iGroove. While the Ultra 2.0 are probably selling well, I was disappointed by comments that iFi (which garnered awards from HI-FI magazines) was being discontinued so soon. Then we have the iGroove which has seen very low activity in forums...so it can't be selling that great either. Now if the iGroove is pretty expensive, and has heavy competion, so what went wrong with Klipsch marketing machine for the Klipsch iFi? It certainly sold well when the price was lowered slightly. ($399 was a bit steep don't you think?) While heavily discounted iFi's didn't remain on shelves very long at all.