HT Testing sounds...

justin_tx_16

Well, i am going to the HT stores today to check out the systems and see what they can get me for the $20,000 and $10,000 price limits.

I wnt to test these systems because i have heard systesms in th stores and they sound great, bring them home and find out why everyone hates BOSE... LoL!

I have the BASS 305 Speaker Test cd, but i need to do some vocal tests. I have teh Diva Song from teh 5th element but that is really all that i have. Also some syphony music. What's the most dynamic and poewrful Bach, Mozart, Betoven (i spelled it wrong, err) and Trachosky but what songs? what other comosers? Thanks, i really need this info ASAP so i can download, burn, and head over there.

thanks again!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Hey Justin. If you are looking for dynamic classical music, then Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique would be good to test the system. I used it on mine. It's got a good range of different instruments as well as spl levels. If you're looking for bass tests for the subwoofer, a good recent release on dvd is Final Fantasy. (starring the beloved Aki Ross) There is tons of low frequency content in that movie: The menu screen, and all those dream sequences. It was enough to distort my promedia 4.2's at 50 - 75% volume. For vocals you could try any number of pop arists. Or you could go with something like Avia or similar system callibration dvd's.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

You are correct Seb,quality gear demands quality test material.

To test true sub bass...pipe organs

Pomps & Pipes from Reference Recordings and other various pipe organ recordings(no cheap fake bass from a fake bass SUPER FAKE CD,no no Frankenberry Test CD)

For large scale orchestra...

most TELARC recordings(no Silicone Spears,this is not test material for speakers)

DVD play back,image quality and sound...

The MATRIX,Gladiator,T2,Toy Story and Bugs Life(yes the high tech cartoons are also good)

TheEAR(s) Now theears

yeah i know about the mp3 thing that is why i am gettin gsome lossless files like monkey audio and such.

i bought the bass 305 cd and got a dvd that tests your HT picture and sound. it has dts, DD, Prologic, THX, the works... costs around $45 though. but it was worth it.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

2 good cd slections also are Roger Waters Amused to death (great for sound stage, bass, soft detail. The Verve EP the song She's a superstar will let you know if your speakers can handle low low bass.

------------------

KLF 30s front

KLF 10s rears

C-7 center

Onkyo TX DS787

Onkyo integra M506RS

Onkyo DX C370 6 disc

thanks a lot. downloaded them from Audio Galaxy at 320Kbps... took like 5 seconds with my 2959kbps (yes, 2959kbps!) internet connection.

Gonna check them out asap.

thanks again yall!

------------------

-justin

yes, i downloaded the whole album at at least 25kbps so it is really good osunding. 80% is at like 320.

i love that kind of music, i did not know that till you told me about it, thanks for opening my ears to a new genre!

------------------

-justin

BB King - 3 O' Clock Blues has some killer guitar solos....its a really good recording...u can get it off bearshare recorded at 320kbps. Oh and Dave Mathews - Crazy is pretty good... Those will give you a good show of real world performance and detail.

------------------

- arrow

This message has been edited by Farrow on 11-03-2001 at 01:34 AM

I recommend the Telarc recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture CD-80041. This is the one with the warning on the label. Full orchestra, brass band, real bells and real 19th century cannons. Very quiet passages and very loud passages. Initial cannon crack in the 2000-3000 Hz range followed by boom going as low as 6 Hz. A real test of the entire system. Other Tchaikovsky: Night on Bald Mountain, The Firebird Suite.

For choral, how about Vivaldi's Glorias, RV 588 and 589? Or Prokofiev's Alexandre Nevski, preferably the one with the Russian Army Men's Chorus. Also, any good recording of the last movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony.