OT:old whiskey

r.cherry

there is such a wealth of knowledge in here i thought i might ask this here???

i have a bottle of Old Overholt straight rye whiskey that is 60+ yrs old...

we don't drink the stuff, is it gonna be a great gift to a friend that likes whiskey or should we keep it as a kinda cool heirloom thing and get them a bottle of jack?

we also have a quart of Windsor Supreme that is old (no date) at least 40 yrs.

are these gonna be good or just keep them and forget about it????

these were my wifes grandfathers and he was not a drinking kinda guy, we have had them since he passed many years ago. it would be nice to give these away if they were special, however if they are just old toxic waste i'd rather give something fresh that the recipiant would enjoy[:)]

if it was that old before being bottled it is a big deal. If the bottle is only old after being bought a long time ago then it means little. usually old whiskey which is aged at the distillery then bottled will tell you so on the label and will fetch a price accordingly.

if it was that old before being bottled it is a big deal. If the bottle is only old after being bought a long time ago then it means little. usually old whiskey which is aged at the distillery then bottled will tell you so on the label and will fetch a price accordingly.

I agree, 12 yearold Scotch or whiskey is aged 12 years in a wooden barrel for flavor, it can spend the next 6 years in the glass bottle buts its still 12 yearold scotch or whiskey. Given the high percentage of alcohol usually it does not go bad per say, but the flavor also will not improve either. Wine is a different case altogether in that regards.