Crown XLS, CE or Xs?

Heideana

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it wasn't just me it was also the actual owner of the amp. In fact we didn't even make through one song and he walked over a shut it off. Pretty hard sounding POS if you ask me. Of course this was no surprise I have heard the same thing from many others about the wonder Crowns. (as in wonder how anyone could listem to them[;)]) I have no clue what model it was and really it was enough for me to say I could careless about the rest of the line. It did do pretty good as a woofer amp in a triamped Khorn situation though.

Craig

I heard a tube amp once and it was terrible. I'd never listen to another one. I've heard other people say they dont' care for them either.

sorry Craig, not to flame, but this is what your arguement sounds like- you're dismissing an entire line very high quality products from a longtime reputable and professional manufacturer based on a single song listening session of an amp you can't even name. You even go so far as to call it a POS based on this listening 'test'. Pretty harsh dude.

I know a lot of guys here bow before you, but your opinion just went in the trash can in my eyes.

do ya wanna try again?

Give me a break all I can share is what I heard. Can I really share anything further? Besides I'm actually pretty surpised that anyone is shocked its not like I'm the first to voice that they sound like finger nails being scratched across a mirror.

If you don't like tube amps all the more power to you.

Definetly do not go with the CE amps...they sound awful. I was never

really a fan of the Xs series either. Perhaps I'm biased because I own

one, but for the money the XLS is a very nice amp...definetly a step

above your typical AV reciever.

My dream amp is actually the Crown K2. It is the closest thing you'll

find to "straight wire with gain." Silent, clean, and tons of power.

You can't go wrong - except for the price...

I'm not really a QSC fan, but that is 100% bias. I grew up on crown

amps and I'll never forget the day when I was shown how to solder with

a macrotech...

One other comment...I have heard a lot of people mention that crown

amps sound bad. Often times they are models that I've

heard and can attest to sounding great. So why the discrepancy? I think

one thing a lot of people forget is that the input impedance of pro

gear is slightly different than that of home gear. So if you've got the

wrong thing connected to a pro amp, then it is for sure going to sound

bad. This is not a fault of any of the equipment in question....it is

merely the fault of the combination of equipment. Or to put it another

way - the sum total of a system is not the sum of its individual

components.

So when I hear someone say that a certain crown amp sounded like crap

(say a D75), I think to myself they must have it connected to the wrong

gear because there is no way any of those adjectives apply to my own

experiences.

Give me a break all I can share is what I heard. Can I really share anything further? Besides I'm actually pretty surpised that anyone is shocked its not like I'm the first to voice that they sound like finger nails being scratched across a mirror.

If you don't like tube amps all the more power to you.

a. reread your original review of the Crown amp you listened to and tell me if that wasn't YOU calling it a 'POS' based on a one song listen. That's what I read.

b. my reference to tube amps wasn't in seriousness, it was to demonstrate the ridiculousness of your 'review'. I've not spent enough time with enough them to formulate a valid opinion. I'd suggest that your personal experience with Crown is similar.

c. nothing personal, I'd just like to see all forum members give equipment a fair shake before we use our voices of authority by spreading rumors based on heresay and folklore. (ie the famous 'Yamaha doens't sound good with Klipsch' debate, or the 'LS has no bass' naysayers)

d. i have given you a break, I didn't resort to any name calling.

e. if the newer series of Crown amps aren't up to snuff, I wouldn't really know. My only real-life experience is a few years with the DC series and Micro and Macro-techs in pro sound applications.

respectfully,

Michael

"if the newer series of Crown amps aren't up to snuff, I wouldn't really know. My only real-life experience is a few years with the DC series and Micro and Macro-techs in pro sound applications"

The CE series is DEFINITELY a different animal than the DC, Micro, and Macrotech series. I have a CE1000 that I use for a bass amp for my HT LFE.....and that's really all it's good for. NOT recommended for full range use on horn speakers.

Not to specifically "call out" Michael, but I do have to ask him if he has heard a GOOD tube amp on horns. I can certainly understand how a solid state addicted person might hear an "average" tube amplifier and walk away less than impressed.......but if you hear a GOOD tube rig, I think you might think differently. I mention this because I used to hold the exact same opinions Michael did: No way would I consider tubes/it's gotta be SS/spent too much time at amplified rock concerts. Now I have 2 pairs of MC30s, MX110 tube preamp, and have begun addicting friends to the concept as well. So never say never[:D]

AN- see point b. above- I was KIDDING about the tube amp thing.

really

haven't spent enough time to formulate an opinion

i don't hate them

but I suppose that I did make my point- it does sound somewhat foolish to call out an entire group of components as horrible and unworthy based on a single listening experience, doesn't it?

M

b. my reference to tube amps wasn't in seriousness, it was to demonstrate the ridiculousness of your 'review'. I've not spent enough time with enough them to formulate a valid opinion. I'd suggest that your personal experience with Crown is similar.

Colterphoto didn't diss tube amps; re-read what he wrote.

I'm on the phone with Trey right now. If you want to hear your Klipsch speakers as they were voiced from the engineering facility, use Crown DC300IIA's.

That's what Roy Delgado uses in his listening room in Hope Arkansas. I've seen and heard them. That's what the gang heard the HIII, CWIII, LSII and Jubilees on last summer.

Michael

I'm on the phone with Trey right now. If you want to hear your Klipsch speakers as they were voiced from the engineering facility, use Crown DC300IIA's.

That's what Roy Delgado uses in his listening room in Hope Arkansas. I've seen and heard them. That's what the gang heard the HIII, CWIII, LSII and Jubilees on last summer.

Michael

Yea while I like and respect Trey very much but I do not agree with his sonic opinion or that of just about anyone I have met in the Klipsch engineering department. They have all had their heads burried in HT for way to long[;)] IMHO. By the way the Crown DC300IIA did not exist when most of are Heritage speakers were really designed.

Craig

If you want to hear your Klipsch speakers as they were voiced from the engineering facility, use Crown DC300IIA's.

I wonder if that's why my Klipschorns sound much better in my home than they do in Klipsch's Heritage room?