Eight REALLY nice old jazz records for sale (they go to ebay next week if not sold here).

Allan Songer

1. Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus Prestige 7079. This is a late 1950's/early 1960's pressing--deep grooves both sides, yellow "Fireworks" label with Bergenfeld NJ address. Vinyl is beautiful--no feelable scuffs or scratches, conservatively graded VG++, close to NM and plays quiet with incredible dynamics. Jacket is VG, borderdline VG+ with corner dings and a small amount of spine loss--image is BEAUTIFUL and the back is nice and clean with no writing, 2 1/2" seam split on top seam. This is a NICE copy of 7061 and was my primary playing copy for a long time before I scored a NM NYC address copy. $75

2. Lou Donaldson Blues Walk Blue Note 1593. Double sided deep-groove pressing with the 47 W. 63rd. labels, "ear" and "RVG" in dead wax. The vinyl is VG++ and plays NM--there are just a couple of uneelable scuffs. This is an early Blue Note, a 1500 series in superb condition and has INCREDIBLE dynamics--a good chance to hear what all the fuss is about regarding early deep-groove Blue Notes. BEAUTIFUL!!! The jacket is VG++ with NO seam splits, NO significant spine or seam wear, a nice clean back with no writing--would be NM if not for some FAINT ringwear on the bottom of the jacket. I three copies of this LP and just can't justify not selling one of them. $95

3. Joe Henderson In 'N Out Blue Note 4166. A rare ORIGINAL mono pressing with the New York labels and the "ear" and "RVG" in the dead wax. A KILLER SESSION with Henderson joined by Kenny Dorham, McCoy Tyner, RIchard Davis and Elvin Jones. The vinyl is truly NM and plays that way--almost PERFECT. The jacket would be NM if not for some eveidence of tape removal from the bottom edge and some white tape along the back's bottom edge--all corners are SHARP, no dings, no wear and the back is super-clean. This is a REALLY tough one to get as an original pressing in ANY condtion and this one is SUPERB! $135

4. Lou Donaldson Mr. Shing-A-Ling Blue Note 84271. Original , blue/white "Liberty" Stereo pressing. Vinyl is NM, but there is a name written on one label side. Jacket is super-clena but with hole-punches (cut out?) in upper left and and lower right corners. Good GOD you get FUNKY on this one with Blue Mitchell on trumpet, Dr. Lonne Smith on the B3, Jimmy Ponder on guitar and Leo Morris on drums. Plays PERFECT!! $25

5. Donald Byrd Byrd's Eye View Transition 4. This is a KING pressing of the IMPOSSIBLE to find original Transition session (yes, I now have a mint original and I never play this one any more) with Mobley on tenor, Horace Silver on piano, Doug Watkins on bass and Art Blakey on drums. Basically, this is a Jazz Messengers LP with Byrd billed as the leader. The vinyl and jacket are as close to mint as you can imagine--I bought this one brand new in the 80s--includes the original insert. NICE $40

6. Miles Davis Nefertiti Columbia CS9594. Original 2-eye Stereo pressing in NM shape--jacket and vinyl are alomst perfect. A great session from Miles' 2nd quintet!! With Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams. $25

7. Chet Baker Sings and Plays Pacific Jazz PJ1202. A perfect Japanese KING pressing from the early 80's. NICE!!! Some great work from Russ Freeman on piano. You won't find a nicer copy. $35

8. Bud Shank The Bud Shank Quartet Pacific Jazz 1PJ215. Seminal "west coast" session--probably Shank's best record from the 50's. This is a Japanese Toshiba pressing from the 90's. PERFECT. $30

All very nice records Allan, and congrats Gary! Let me know when you have a spare NM Way out West. Tim.

Tim,

Be prepared to pay a couple hundred or more for an original NM Mono Way Out West. I have a VG+/VG++ that plays really well which I bought for about $75. I'd be willing to part with it if you're interested since I have 2.

I'd rather have a mint OJC then a beat up original that never gets played! Not that my copy is beat up.............

After hearing Allan's original mono copy, I HAD to have one. My SACD just didn't sound the same.

Speaking of falling through the cracks, I paid $60 for a "VG+" original Benny Green "Soul Stirrin'" on ebay that turned out to be NM. Plays absolutely perfectly! Not one pop or click on the entire LP! It would probably sell for close to $400 now but it's one of my favorite LPs and I doubt I'll ever sell it.