Extreme listener fatigue with SF-1

Quwiksilver

Hi. I've had a pair of SF-1 floorstanders for about two years now and just recently they've become extremely fatiguing. They're being powered by a Marantz 2220B run by a Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card.

I'm wondering is something is failing in the old Marantz receiver or the crossovers in the SF-1 pair. It's to the point where my ears will be ringing after the music stops (even at moderate listening levels) and the sound is pretty unpleasant. I do have young ears so that may have something to do with it, but like I've said these have been around for two years and I didn't notice this before.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

It would seriously surprise me if the problem is in the SF-1's. I would try another receiver or source as the first step. Just do a process of elimination. Change out one at a time until the problem is gone.

Oh and when working properly the Marantz would not be described as fatigueing in my book the opposite would be more the norm. But it is 30 years old or so......

Wow, rare i hear anything about the sf-1's. I've had mine almost 3 years plus they were on display for a few months, but in very very good condition. Hope you get the problem resolved. I know they aren't probably the best speaker for music, at least to some people, but i would have to disagree. With everything i listen to, i am usually surprised at how well they handle anything. Excellent for rock, and they rock even better with my sx-980. They are still my first and only decent speaker that i ever owned.

Good Luck

I would suspect the Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card before the Marantz or SF-1. My Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card had some type of failure starting and started to change the sound unpleasant. Marantz has a warm sounding signature sound so I doubt that would be coming from it. I have a Marantz that is almost 25 years old and it still sounds great. Good Luck problem solving, hope you get it resolved!

I would start by making sure your woofers are still functioning...crank

some bass heavy music and see if the woofers are moving. Or at low

volumes put your ear next to them and make sure they are working.

It also wouldn't hurt to double check all your wiring...yes, that means unplugging everything and plugging it back in.

I'm guess you've got corrosion on a cable or perhaps one of the leads

to the woofers has fallen off - both of which are simple easy fixes.

What have you been listening to lately? A better home movie and music reproduction system? Live music?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Coupled to the most powerful super-computer on the planet, your ears are superb pattern recognition devices. It is possible that nothing is wrong. You simply identified some problem with your system that never bothered you before, and now that you have heard it you will hear it every time you play the system. Welcome to the wonderful world of audio.

The only solution is start swap out various pieces of equipment, playing tweaking audiophile until you achieve a high-quality sound system (about age 40 when you can afford all of the good stuff, but your ears have lost their high-end hearing).

Does that help? [6]

Thanks for the help!

I did find a suspect connection behind the left channel binding posts, but I don't think it was causing any problems. Both woofers tested just fine before fixing that connection.

Audiocvk: Interesting to note you've had problems with your sound blaster too. It takes a few minutes to switch between my onboard audio source and the X-Fi source, so it's not a completely sure way to tell but it seems like the onboard audio card is much less harsh then the X-Fi. Possibly a problem in the X-Fi is making my ears discharge fluids (haha...sorry too much information)?

Johny: Are you saying 20W from the Marantz isn't enough to drive these speakers? I might have to disagree with that. Does anyone know what parts on these receivers commonly fail and change the sound? Also, can someone explain what the Loudness and Hi-Filter buttons actually do?

It's also occurred to me that the SF-1's may have been too bright for me all along, as I've never actually sat in their "sweet spot". Before I'd have them positioned to the right and left of me, as opposed to an equilateral triangle setup.

I would suspect the Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card before the Marantz or SF-1. My Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card had some type of failure starting and started to change the sound unpleasant. Marantz has a warm sounding signature sound so I doubt that would be coming from it. I have a Marantz that is almost 25 years old and it still sounds great. Good Luck problem solving, hope you get it resolved!

The piper to be paid for the digital devil is listener fatigue. A computer case has so many EMI oppurtunities it would be the least desired for me.

Other than 500 USD + CD players; an outboard DAC on the used market would be the best.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1150333037

A top notch set up for less than 400 USD.