JBL 2426 Driver

Mick Bell

Mick,

I'm using JBL 2426h drivers on my Belles. I wouldn't use them down to 400 Hz even with the ES400 network. I'm using the ES500T and it works ok. They really should be crossed over at 800 Hz. JBL says they can be used down to 500 with reduced power. They also do not go up very high before starting to roll off big-time. I tried to use them early on in a 2-way system and had to EQ them or they sounded very dull.

Al K.

If your going for mid-range change I use the JBL 2482. It will drive well below 300Hz giving you a good shoulder crossing at 400. I use AlK's ESN and the JBL 2404 super tweets on my Khorns and am extremely pleased. The 2482 is out of production but you can find them and they show up on E-bay periodically. BTW I prefer the original phenolic diaphragms for them as the lows and mids are better reproduced IMHO. Of course the silly things are beastly big and will not tuck inside the top hat of a Khorn. Downside for the WAF threshold. On the other hand you will be able to move them further to the periphery of the sound stage as you need to. They would not be locked in position as are the standard Khorn drivers.

Al K suggests JBL 2470. There are a couple on Ebay in the UK but I'd rather do business in the U.S. Anyone know a source for a couple of JBL 2470s? OR -- If you've upgraded your squaker driver in your K-Horns, what driver are you using and how do you like it?

Mick

Jammin Jersey is showing 2470's available at $150 a pop. Just Google them up for their web site. JBL recommends a crossover at 500Hz for the 2470 while they recommend 300Hz for the 2482. The 2482 does have a 2" throat but you can readily get horns for them (JBL 2380) on E-bay for not a lot of $$$.

Chances of buying a 2470/2461 with the original phenolic diaphragm in good shape are slim-to-none.

Most were replaced long ago with titanium, current replacement cost from JBL on the real diaphragms is close to $500 the pair.

The alnico magnets are frequently shifted from rough handling.

Just say no.

Rick...There are good options to upgrade the Khorn mid-range. There's no simple single option. Unlike the tweeter component where just a few really good upgrades can be named the mid-range can go lots of ways. It's a frustrating journey many here have taken and many different final destinations have been described. Good luck to you on yours.