SVS PB10-ISD + Klipsch RF-7

Kain

Absolutely, the pB10 is a great little sub. Having had both I offer you my 2 cents. Even though the PB10 will keep up, now we are just talkig about the svs offerings, I feel the isd is a better match than the PB10, the + model would be a great match and the Ultra would be the perfect match.

if the budget limits what you can spend on a sub it is a great choice. If there is any flexibility, any 12 inch woofer would be a better match.

Scott

I think the fact that you are asking the question implies the answer [;)]

I'm sure there are a bunch of listening practices and source material

that one can justify using one, but alas those situations usually don't

benefit much from the addition of even a killer sub.

The RF-7's are a very dynamic speaker and by going to a single 10"

woofer to fill in an extra 2 octaves you will automatically be

increasing distortion by 12dB for the same SPL. And then take into

account that you're talking a max of 100dB clean output you're talking

listening levels never exceeding 80dB - not exactly rocking it out loud

(gotta maintain those 20dB level peaks). But then again, 80dB is

probably a bit more on the loud side for normal listening sessions -

I'd bet most people listen at 70dB.

I think the fact that you are asking the question implies the answer [;)]

I'm sure there are a bunch of listening practices and source material that one can justify using one, but alas those situations usually don't benefit much from the addition of even a killer sub.

The RF-7's are a very dynamic speaker and by going to a single 10" woofer to fill in an extra 2 octaves you will automatically be increasing distortion by 12dB for the same SPL. And then take into account that you're talking a max of 100dB clean output you're talking listening levels never exceeding 80dB - not exactly rocking it out loud (gotta maintain those 20dB level peaks). But then again, 80dB is probably a bit more on the loud side for normal listening sessions - I'd bet most people listen at 70dB.

When I watch movies or listen to music, I full out blast it. I'm ALWAYS at least hitting 90dB.

Well in that case you're gonna want to look for a sub that can at a

minimum do 110dB cleanly...so when looking at manufacture specs look

for something rated at 120dB...Basically something with specs similar

to that of the RSW-15.

As a general rule I would look at spending no less on the subwoofer than you spent for your mains.

Then again, I am pretty happy with my rf-83 without sub for the moment, maybe in a year or so I might finish that damn sub [;)]

Since the rf-83 are closer to the rf-7 then any other two speakers, I would question yourself on your music/movie habbits. Which do you watch/listen more to? I know the rf-83 are rated a bit lower but I know the rf-7 are no slouch. Maybe it might be the amp/reciever your running. I remember the rf-7 dips to 2-4 ohms in the lower range which most recievers struggle. It might be just worth it to upgrade the power going to the rf-7?

Then again, I am pretty happy with my rf-83 without sub for the moment, maybe in a year or so I might finish that damn sub [;)]

Since the rf-83 are closer to the rf-7 then any other two speakers, I would question yourself on your music/movie habbits. Which do you watch/listen more to? I know the rf-83 are rated a bit lower but I know the rf-7 are no slouch. Maybe it might be the amp/reciever your running. I remember the rf-7 dips to 2-4 ohms in the lower range which most recievers struggle. It might be just worth it to upgrade the power going to the rf-7?

My A/V receiver is great. Was top-of-the-line Harman Kardon few years back. I forgot how many watts/channel it is but I know it's in the 110-120 range.

oh I just noticed where you live. WOW UAE, how is it over there, spending money like gods [;)]

Anyways are you unhappy about the bass from the hk?

Ah yes, the good 'ol UAE. [:D]

Nah, it's not that I'm unhappy about the bass, it's just that I want more...you know. [;)]

BTW, which is the better overall subwoofer? The PB10-ISD or the RSW-12? Which would be a better match for me?

RW12 VS RSW12

Clean sweep for the RSW,higher output across the range each covers,RSW12 will dig deeper,cleaner bass,no port noise(PR used).Better quality parts

PB10ISD VS RW12

PB10 is cleaner,reaches deeper,flat across its operating range save the very deepest of deep bass.

PB10ISD VS RSW12

RSW12 higher output,dynamics the PB10ISD cannot match,both reach into the 25Hz with good output nod going to the RSW12.

Bottom line the PB10ISD is an incredible value.Will not best the big boys buy will best all its competition with scary ease.