Cornwalls or belles?

meagain, you might be on to something there. LOL.

Belles are LaScalas in drag.[:o]

That is, comments about LaScalas relate to Belles as well.

Both Belles and Corns sound good. Corns go lower and boom better, Belles are crisper. Mids on Corns are not the same due to the higher hand off to the K-600 v the K-500 in the Belles. I can't really say which is better just different.

Those frequencies are right in the range of a piano's right hand. There is something to be said for having them on the same driver as the left hand, Cornwalls. Yet, the notes are sharper and more purcussive emminating from the horn, Belles. The large, unsupported cabinet resonates more in the Belles.

Over all, they are both good. I give a slight edge to the Belles personally for looks and presentation.

Rick

Edit: I have both, see my profile.

Okay, here's my opinion in a little more detail. Consider the LS nearly the same as Belle for this example.

I own both CW's and LS's. I have had them side by side, same acoustic space, same wall distance, mono signal, and listened to them in an A/B situation where they were level matched. I hope that's a fair listen. In all fairness, the LS has a new BEC AA/A crossover while the CW is still original.

For any acoustical instrument, violins, piano, horns, classical ensembles and most human voices in spartan pop or jazz setting, I found the 400 mid horn of the LS more pleasing and natural, less strained. However the LS bass, although 'tight', has a definite peak that favors classical and jazz recordings, IMHO. The lowest registers are missing or rough with the LS, although it will do for most traditional instruments.

For hard rock, electronica, and busy pop recordings, I found the overall smoothness of the CW response more pleasing. Although lacking a bit in the vocal ranges, the direct radiator, ported design of the CW carries lower and has a certain 'slam factor' across it's bass range that suites rock music better. The 600 horns in my CW's do get a bit brash and 'honky' and the extremest volume leves.

Generally speaking, if I could have only one or the other pairs, I would choose CW, because of it's size and suitability to my musical tastes.

That being said, because I use the system for 50% movies, I currently have LS for my fronts and CW for rears in my HT system. This despite the fact that I could create a fully matching CW system. I wanted the extra efficiency of the LS bins up front.

My final vote is that it's a TOSSUP, depends on musical tastes and HT/Music percentage.

Michael

LaScala's, Belle's, Cornwalls buy them all and take your pick only you can decide for your self.

If money is the final factor then Cornwall's win over Belle's. It would be a toss up between Cornwall's and LaScala's, have to go with the best deal at the time.

Best looks Belle's have the highest WAF no questions asked.

Good luck Bill