Unauthorized Dealers

JDLaws

I am looking at buying a Denon AVR2802 Receiver and have seen that I can get it significantly cheaper through an "Unauthorized Dealer" such as CrazyEddie, Sound Distributor or i4digital

Just wanted to get an opinion on these types of sites. Are they safe? Do I get warranty coverage? Am I getting 'B' goods? Thanks.

Although I understand Klipsch frowns on this process, I could never have afforded to purchase the setup I have if I hadn't bought online. Combined with the fact that my local Klipsch dealer is comepletely sleazy and lied to me numerous times (RB-5's "only" come in blond wood, the kind they just happen to have in stock, etc) for me, online buying was the ONLY way to go. What you need to do is find a site that rates online vendors with user ratings. Go for someone who has a very high rating and you should be okay. (I personally went with Sound Distributors and had no problems.)

Good luck!

This message has been edited by belial on 10-31-2001 at 10:54 AM

I've used www.brandnamez.com for certain speaker orders and was completely satified. Though, I have no warranty.

I would not use them for big ticket items, like your receivers.

------------------

TV: Sony 45" HDTV Coming Soon...

Receiver: Onkyo Coming Soon...

Fronts: RP-5

Center: RC-3

Surrounds: RS-3

Rear Surrounds: RB-5

Subwoofer: SVS Coming Soon...

quote:

Originally posted by JDLaws:

I am looking at buying a Denon AVR2802 Receiver and have seen that I can get it significantly cheaper through an "Unauthorized Dealer" such as CrazyEddie, Sound Distributor or i4digital

Just wanted to get an opinion on these types of sites. Are they safe? Do I get warranty coverage? Am I getting 'B' goods? Thanks.

I too bit the bullet and purchased my RX-V1200 + Klipsch RF-3 reference package online (from hificiti on Yahoo shopping). From my estimates, I must have saved at least $500 vis-a-vis a local authorized B&M store (could have saved ~$750 if I had gone in for the RX-V1000).

Now, it does concern me somewhat that I bought from an unauthorized dealer, but hey, my wallet (and my wife) are pretty happy. I did have a small scare w/ my subwoofer (see posting), but the way they handled it was probably better any authorized dealer would have.

Also, several online sites do realize the dilemma and offer they own warranty protection in lieu of the manufacturers'. One may argue that they might default on their obligation, but since bad buzz has a way of getting around the Internet, I would doubt it :-).

Regarding the "B" goods question, most sites categorically state that most items are NOT ("B" goods), unless explicitly mentioned otherwise.

Atul

I agree with all you guys If you buy from someone for

say on like ebay with a good feedback your usually

pretty much good to go. I agree that Klipsch frowns

upon this stuff but if it wasnt for the web I wouldnt

have what I have now. Check out some of the products

I have bought within the last few months.

Ill list to the left first the best price I could find

in stores and on the right what I got it for. All Parts

are 100% NEW IN BOX

499.99 SONY RECIEVER STR-DE975 - 377.00

229.99 SONY DVD NS400D - 189.99

155.00 Klipsch Quintett Pair - 95.00

215.00 Klipsch KSC-C1 Center - 95.00

365.00 Klipsch KSW-12 - 255.00

SO as you see i saved over $455.00 in just

this stuff alone and spent $1015.00 or so

Everything i bought came in original boxes

with all paperwork etc and is real equipment

b]NOT Knockoff stuff and has worked perfect.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Unfortunately, in many cases with unauthorized online dealers, the question comes down to this: ten years ago would you have bought a "brand name" product from a guy "hawking" it out of his trunk on a side street? The Internet has taken many of these "resellers" physically off the street and put them at a desk in their garage with a website. You DO take your chances when you buy from someone who has no relationship with, nor no backup from, the manufacturer whose "brand" is on that product. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. There is even one Internet reseller that states on their website a full MANUFACTURERS warranty and refers the customer to the particular manufacturer when there is a problem. Sorry gang, but with all those bogus serial numbers out there, manufacturers don't know where that product came from and will not cover them. When that website's customer's come back to "haunt" him, the song and dance begins.

If you have not seen our official statement on these people, click at the bottom right of this page where it says "UNAUTHORIZED DEALERS".