Pentium D dual core worth the $...

jdm56

...compared to a Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading?

I've been looking at Dell XPS400's with the D, versus Dell E510's with the 4. All my comparisons with similar featured PC's seem to show the main difference in price must just be in the processor. Is it worth it?

Yes, it is worth it, plus you get a much better chipset with the LGA775 proc. Hyperthreading dosent do much i wouldnt say its a advantage. It dosent aid in gaming, but it does make use of its self when you are multitasking many open windows, firefox, foobar, spreadsheet, word, aim, and someother programs. Plus you can take advantage of a FSB speed of 1055, on some models, and if your mobo supports that speed. And 64 bit. I would say any HT proc is no comparison for a 3.0+ dual core proc.

You should just BYOC(build your own computer) if you are going to buy expensive components like a dual core proc. Dells=the suck. They screw you with the total cost. I could built you the same system for a fraction of the cost that dell charges you.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not up to rolling my own! We went ahead and ordered a new E510 with the Pentium D dual core. It should be a major improvement over our 6-yr-old Compaq with it's Celeron processor running at 466MHz! Plus, going from a 15" crt to a 19" LCD should be nice, too.

I got a 1000Hz PIII for $50 just so I could troll the forum (back up to a PII and Maxtor drive)

I hear ya! --don't need a super computer to surf the 'net! I think we'll hang on to the old Compaq for a while. It still works well enough for word processing, e-mail and the web (iow, about 90% of what we actually do!). When we get the new one, we probably won't be able to use it much because my 13 yr old will be glued to it -- he's already scoping out new computer games that our old pc couldn't run.

I will be honest, Any child who says they need the latest and greatest computer will have one thing in mind. Games! Do not buy them the latest and greatest as they will waste their lives on videogames. Those 500-1000 dollar computers will be adequate for word processing and web browsing. alittle more for a laptop.

Agreed. This kid's already got a Game Cube, an X-Box, a PSP and an original PlayStation, so it ain't like he's deprived. Still, I don't care if he has a few PC games.

And this Dell 510 with the Pentium D running at 2.8gHz should still be OK. Not the cutting edge, but still a big improvement over what we had.

Agreed. This kid's already got a Game Cube, an X-Box, a PSP and an original PlayStation, so it ain't like he's deprived. Still, I don't care if he has a few PC games.

And this Dell 510 with the Pentium D running at 2.8gHz should still be OK. Not the cutting edge, but still a big improvement over what we had.

Spare the rod spoil the child man.

...compared to a Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading?

I've been looking at Dell XPS400's with the D, versus Dell E510's with the 4. All my comparisons with similar featured PC's seem to show the main difference in price must just be in the processor. Is it worth it?

A P4 with Hyperthreading is more like Hype Threading.Does exactly next to nothing in most apps.It emulates dual CPU's and it does not work too well.

A dual core is TWO actual CPU's on one die.And any app taking advantage of the two cores will work like you had two single core CPU's.

Yes a dual core is worth it and a near must buy for any new PC. Unless all you will be doing is some office apps and browse the net and surf the forums.

dual core though still is meant for multiple applications or multifunctioning applications like autocad, 3dstudio max, any rendering programs. The best single core still beats dual core chips in pure speed like videogames. This is due to the single core still has a faster clock speed than the dual cores which puts two lesser processors together. Also the benefit to the dual core though is heat productions, its less

Most new games support dual-core chips natively, and many benefit simply from the windows processes being offloaded to another CPU. At this point dual-core chips rule performance-wise in games.

But Intel's Pentium 4 DC is a pretty sucky way of doing dual-core, with few instructions for load-balancing. AMD's X2 CPUs are far more efficient, and are predictably MUCH faster.

Intel's Core 2 Duo technology (not to be confused with Core Duo) will be a much better implementation, and we're all looking forward to it.

No doubt in the current market the Athlon64 X2 beats the cores out of Intel's Dual Core P4,even the so called Extreme Edition is extremly at a disadvantage,more expensive and gets ground to the PCB in the price/performance departament.

Intel's Conroe is supposed to change all that.Lets hope,this will re-ignite some good old times battle again.As now the A64 dominates.

Currently I have three PC's and all three use AMD CPU's.All Athlon64 chips from single core FX to dual core X2's. Today the choice is clear

Plus the Athlon64 heats alot less,the P4's generate heat like stove elements! The tables are reversed on Intel.

Can i make a suggestion regarding PC's that will probably be unpopular?

Check out IBM. There are reasons.

1. Price. Generally on par or slightly cheaper than Dell

2. Warranty. Last I checked, the standard warranty is twice as long as Dell's.

3. Quality. Come on, they're IBM!!!!

4. Like components. (Meaning. All models use the same source for a particular component. ex. all motherboards for a particular model will have the same manufacturer.) This becomes important when hardware fails. otoh, companies like Dell use the lowest cost supplier at the time the need more parts. The same model can have differet suppliers for components in the same model line. (this is a big one!)

5. Reputation. Again, they're IBM!!

6. Reliability. These are manufactured with corporate consumers in mind. Corners aren't cut, these are tried and trued buisness grade machine. Corporate clients dont put up with defects.

7. THE keyboard! IT IS CLASSIC!! Comfortable, well laid out, I belive its called "ergonomic"??

I sell PC's for a living. I sit here with an IBM t42 on my lap. Great stuff. IBM is the choice of corporate America for a reason.

C

this IBM starts at $379

post-21157-13819298069226_thumb.gif

actually their build quality is the same as ibm still has some say in the quality of the item. Also they made the x81 that is purely lenovo. It was released rigt after the company was sold and is still a hit being the best laptop/tablet out there

ordered my new laptop friday, check it out....

View summary of ThinkPad T60

System image

ThinkPad T60

Model

1953EAU

Configured price

$2,027.00 *

Lease price

$64.00 per month for 36 months

grey_rule.gif

c.gif

Lenovo recommends Windows® XP Professional

c.gif

grey_rule.gif

Add to cart

c.gif

c.gif

grey_rule.gif

Thursday, May 18, 2006 5:01:18 PM EDT

popup.gif Need help with this page?

c.gif

ThinkPad T60 1953EAU

Description

Part no

Unit price*

Unit lease price**

Quantity

Price*

Lease price**

ThinkPad T60 1953EAU
CustomizeCustomize

1953EAU

$1,749.00

$54.92

$1,749.00

$54.92

Processor: Intel Core Duo processor T2400 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB) (Standard)

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

40Y8496

Display type: 15.0 inch XGA (1024x768) TFT (Standard)

Memory: 1GBMB PC2-5300 CL5 NP DDR2 SDRAM SODIMM

40Y7738

Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (Standard)

Hard drive: 80 GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive

41N3021

Optical device: ThinkPad 24X/24X/24X/8X Max Combo Ultrabay Slim Drive

41N5551

Integrated data/fax modem: 56K V.92 Designed Modem (Standard)

Integrated Ethernet: Integrated Gigabit Ethernet (Standard)

Integrated WiFi wireless LAN: Wi-Fi wireless upgradable and Bluetooth (Standard)

Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Mini-PCI Express Adapter

41A4068

Battery: ThinkPad 6 Cell Li-Ion Battery

40Y6800

USB ports: 3 USB 2.0 (back) (Standard)

Security: Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0 and Integrated fingerprint reader (Standard)

Accessories and options:

c.gif

Special offers: Discounted MS Office Small Business Edition

W72003S

$129.00

$4.05

$129.00

$4.05

Expansion and cable management: Discounted with PC Purchase ThinkPad Advanced Mini Dock with Power Cord

W9SPAMD

$149.00

$4.68

$149.00

$4.68

c.gif

popup.gif Need help with this page?

grey_rule.gif

System image

ThinkPad T60

Model

1953EAU