Suggestions to upgrade TD-125 Mk II arm and cart?

Def Leper

I picked up a TD125 MK-II that is in good working condition but in need of a good cleanup and upgrade. It has the stock Thorens arm with a satanic AT-666 cartridge. I plan to build a new base cabinet and would like to upgrade the arm and cartridge. Any suggestions on what to look for? I'm playing mostly stereo LP's and would like to keep the cost of the arm and cart under $1K. I like the Empire-style cabinets and plan to build one of that type, but a bit oversize and integrated onto a granite surface plate.

Here is a good combination for less than $1000. Find an SME 3009 Series II (not the improved version). Should be able to find one of these for $300 or $400 if it's in really good shape. Then get a Goldring 1042 cartridge which are about $300 to $350. This is a fantastic combination. I have this same set up for use in my living room with Klipschorns. The Khorns are pretty unforgiving so if this wasn't a good combination, I would know it.

The SPU mentioned above is used more commonly on the TD124. I don't think it mates well with a suspended table? It's above your price range anyway just for the cartridge alone.

The SPU works just fine with a suspended table, by the way.

I would second the SME 3009 "NON-improved"--look for a "Series 2" or an "R" model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SME-3009-TONEARM_W0QQitemZ9716723058QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And I would HIGHLY reccomend the Denon 103 which can be had for about $160.

1145315688.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-Denon-DL-103-MC-cartridge-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ9714274781QQcategoryZ64620QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

IF you don't have a MC phono stage, there are plenty of good deals to be had on step-ups!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Denon-AU-320-Step-up-Transformer-for-any-DL-103-DL30X_W0QQitemZ9716216801QQcategoryZ48648QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you shop around you can get this set-up for well under $1000 and you'll be smiling ear to ear . . .

Man, that cartridge looks sweet. Is that the original? I may have to send my BBX off to Mark and get the Cream option, and then pick up one of these. Not sure how it would mate with my Dual CS-5000 with the stock arm, but it will probably mate with my next table/arm for sure.

Mike

Edit: CS-500 specs

Motor:
Dual Voltage, Quartz Belt Drive, DUAL
EDS 5000 system, Microprocessor Controlled.

Platter:
Non-Magnetic, Removable, 304mm

Wow & Flutter:

DIN: +/- 0.025%

WRMS: +/- 0.015%

Rumble:
Unweighted: 56dB
Weighted: 80dB

Tonearm:
Aluminum Tubular, Kardan, OPS 221mm
Acceptable Cartridge Weights:
Between 3-10 grams, 1/2" Mount
Tracking Force: 0-3 grams

Frequency Response: 10hz-28Mhz
Overhang: 18mm

It appears the Denon weighs 8.5 grams, so that will work, but I don't know about the 1/2" mount. I'm also not sure at what the DL-103 likes to track at, as the Dual can only handle 0-3 grams, which I would think to be plenty.

The SPU works just fine with a suspended table, by the way.

I would second the SME 3009 "NON-improved"--look for a "Series 2" or an "R" model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SME-3009-TONEARM_W0QQitemZ9716723058QQcategoryZ3283QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering about that. I've never seen an SPU on anything but the old solid idler wheel tables. I was beginning to think they didn't like springs.

I would imagine there are significant sonic differences in step-up transformers. Poking around eBay, there are some in cases (like the Denon), and some that are simply in-line "adapters" (looking like the 75-300 ohm antenna guys). I'm using a Blueberry Xtreme, so perhaps the Cream option would be a better choice for me? I've been using an Ortofon HOMC (the X5-MC).

I have always used step-up devices and have never owned a preamp with MC gain built it--I also use the transformers to properly load the SPU--they dont really like 47K--more like 100 ohm.

Anyway, how much does the "Cream" upgrade cost? Does it allow for "loading" options?

The Denon and Ortofon stepups from the 80's are great and can be had all day long in the $200-$300 range, so if the "Cream" option is similarly priced and you prefer one set of interconnects, etc. then why not?

Def Leper,

I have a SME 3009 tonearm that I bought awhile ago to use on a TD160Thorens.

But then bought a TD160B MKII from Charlie Boy that came with the RB250

Rega. So, if you are intrested in the SME I may sell it. Mark has

my Blueberry and I will be looking for a

MC cartridge soon.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Why not snag one of the DL-103 cartridges from the link above that

Allan posted? I believe there are still 4 left (6 have been sold).

Doubt you will find a lomc for anywhere near that price.

Mike

Mike,

I did look

at it,but am not sure if it's what I want. Not that I need to spend a

ton of money.But I was thinking I had to spend a bunch more for a

starter MC cartridge.[:^)]

Larry

Hi Larry,

Why not snag one of the DL-103 cartridges from the link above that Allan posted? I believe there are still 4 left (6 have been sold). Doubt you will find a lomc for anywhere near that price.

Mike

Mike,

I did look at it,but am not sure if it's what I want. Not that I need to spend a ton of money.But I was thinking I had to spend a bunch more for a starter MC cartridge.[:^)]

Larry

Nope

Here is a good combination for less than $1000. Find an SME 3009 Series II (not the improved version). Should be able to find one of these for $300 or $400 if it's in really good shape. Then get a Goldring 1042 cartridge which are about $300 to $350. This is a fantastic combination. I have this same set up for use in my living room with Klipschorns. The Khorns are pretty unforgiving so if this wasn't a good combination, I would know it.

The SPU mentioned above is used more commonly on the TD124. I don't think it mates well with a suspended table? It's above your price range anyway just for the cartridge alone.

It looks as though you broke down and got one of the DL-103's as well. [;)]

Since you already have this table/arm I would really like to hear your thoughts on this combo.

Mike

It looks as though you broke down and got one of the DL-103's as well. [;)]

Since you already have this table/arm I would really like to hear your thoughts on this combo.

Mike

At I've been meaning to try one for a couple months now. I've got Cream on my Blueberry and have yet to use it so this will be the perfect chance. I'll post some thought after a few weeks with the Denon.

I still think the Goldring 1042 is one of the best value MM cartridges for the SME 3009.

At I've been meaning to try one for a couple months now. I've got Cream on my Blueberry and have yet to use it so this will be the perfect chance. I'll post some thought after a few weeks with the Denon.

I still think the Goldring 1042 is one of the best value MM cartridges for the SME 3009.

Cool! I've got a BBX as well, and will be sending it out to Mark to get the Cream when I can afford it.

So do you have the TD-125 MK II table also?

Mike