Which 1812 Overture recording has best bass?

djbeatz

Can someone please tell me which Telarc recording of "1812 Overture" has the best/deepest/etc bass response?

(I've read several negative reviews about one that used digital cannons, so apparently not all recordings of this piece are of equal quality.)

I don't know the versions, but I've heard the best thing is hearing that initial crackle as the fuse hits the gunpowder in the cannon- just a ripping bass note. 6 HZ could not be produced at any audible level by any known system, but the harmonics would blow the hair clean off your body.

I'd be interested to see the grooves on a really good pressing of this. Does and CD recording do it justice or is the dynamic range compressed out of it?

LarryC & MaxG, you're our men in the classical Dept. any help?

I have the Telarc DVD-Audio. It's superb, with the choral parts usually left out of other versions. I grew up listening to Antal Dorati (sp?)'s version on a Mercury record BTW.

Cappricio Italian (sp again? its early!) on the same DVD-Audio is wonderful. If it doesn't make you want to dance, there's something wrong with you!