Wanted: Thorens TD-125/MK II with SME 3009/II tonearm

Mike Lindsey

Guest BobG

this thread brings back memories of components sold long ago. I had a TD-125 LB (long base) which was intended for use with 12" tone arms. I had ordered the regular 'table but received the LB. I used the 3009 II with it and may have used the DL-103D in that setup. That part is too hazy to recall.

I also had a Rabco tone arm. Bought it new in box from someone who never used it. I, too never used it though I had the notion of mounting it on my Technics SP-10 II. It was too crude and I sold that arm to someone else. I wonder if it ever got used or is still new in box?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Bob... you still got that long base table? If so, I'll buy it if you are interested in selling. I did see on Audiogon there is a TD-125 for sale wit the Rabco arm but know very little about it. I have my heart set on the SME arm.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1149938331

Mike

Edit: I just reread your post and it says "components sold long ago". Bummer...

Ttops,

Don't know about the B&O carridge. I would think the 103 would work better with the stock Thorens arm since it is heavier. That being said the SME is the better arm so I would suggest getting a cartridge suited to it. I don't think Allan likes the Shures, but I do so here goes.

I would suggest picking up a Shure V15III...

Paul, thanks for your thoughts on this. I already had a nice 125 MKII with a Thorens arm, but I bought this 125 MKII with SME 3009 "Improved" arm thinking it would work well with the Denon cartridge. I wonder if Allan has any ideas about any cartridges that would mate well with the "Improved" arm? I also wonder if the Thorens arm is worthy of the Denon cartridge?

I never have tried a Shure V15--like Grey Coupe I used the old Stanton 681EE's a lot during the 70's and 80's.

Mike--sorry about partially hijacking the thread--thanks for your interest in this topic. I've clearly got a lot to learn in this area.

Best in horns,

triceratops

I don't know why the Denon won't mate with the 3009 Improved. I'll find out this weekend though as I plan on putting it on my 125 which has the 3009 II Improved arm on it. I've got a "non-Improved" 3009 I can try too.

Hey Scott,

That's really cool--are the headshells on the two arms interchangable? Look forward to hearing about your experiences!

Best in horns,

triceratops

Ttops,

The 3009 II Improved that is currently mounted on my 125 is a fixed headshell (funny how you forget these things ). But my 3009 II "non-improved" is a removeable headshell. So I think first what I'll do is mount the 3009 Non-Improved on the Thorens and give the Denon a good listen. I'll take the Goldring 1042 off of the other arm and mount it to an extra SME headshell so eventually I will be able to swap. This could take a couple of weekends but I'll get good start this weekend. Swapping anything quickly back and forth never really works for me. I have to sit and listen for a few days at least and just kind of come up with what I like and don't like.

Hey Scott,

My 3009 Improved has a removable headshell, which means it is a slightly heavier arm, but I don't know if that makes it heavy enough for the Denon cartridge--clearly the arm would be no more rigid than the one with the fixed shell that you have. I will be really interested to hear your feedback. Also, I totally agree about your listening strategy--that's why quick slurp beer taste tests are somewhat bogus, IMHO. You've got to quaff a brew for a few weeks to decide if you can live with a long term relationship. What were we talking about? Oh yeah...music...that's right...

Best in horns,

triceratops

Ttops, from the specs I've seen the 3009 non-improved is about 9.5 grams, the Improved is 12.5 grams. I don't know if that's enough to make a difference but there does appear to be at least one opinion out there in the internet jungle that says the 103 didn't mate well on the Improved arm.

Anyway.... goodbye beloved Linnie Lingo for now...

post-15692-13819297820822_thumb.jpg

Presto! With the flick of a mouse, the arm is a 3009 II. One caveat to anyone looking for this combo(Mike!). Most of the older SME arms have their output connection shooting straight down. Fine for the older taller plinths like the 124 and Garrards, but not so fine for the relatively shallow plinth on the 125. SME also made output connections that come out at a right angle and that would be the much preferable connections for this combo. For this trial, I have removed the bottom board and put the 125 up on some taller rubber feet to allow room for the cables to connect to the output connectors and exit freely. You can't try to stuff it in or it messes up the suspension.

post-15692-13819297821612_thumb.jpg

The Denon mounted. The Goldring on the bench. The quality of this Denon is extremely good. And it has a wonderful manual that explains in great detail about how the cartridge actually works. Way more information than I'm used to with a cartridge.

post-15692-13819297821992_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I've had very limited listening time and now I have to go to vegas for 3 days. Sorry but I'm not a vegas fan.

I spent a couple of albums with the Goldring 1042 in this setup and about as expected, I didn't notice a great deal of difference between when I had it on the Improved arm. I never have and wasn't expecting too. In both arms, this set up still has that hard to describe ability to make me lift my head up and stop whatever the hell I'm doing. With some tables and cd's I can sit there through the whole album and never really stop dead and listen. Not so here, no reading, typing or mind drifting off.

So then I spend some time with the Denon DL103. There certainly will be no quick cartridge swapping. Almost everything needed adjustment. I was using the old MOFI Geodisc for alignment, had to move the whole arm back some, raise the arm a bit, much different tracking force, I set it at 2.5 grams. A quick run through with the HiFi test record and the basics all check out fine. So I play a lot of stuff for a couple of hours while I do chores around the house. Just in case it needs a bit of break in or whatever.

I've since listened to several familiar albums and can say that my initial thoughts are very favorable. This is the first I've got to use the Cream on my Blueberry and of course it seems to be working just fine. I still get the same "draw" into the music that I was hoping for. I haven't noticed any earth shattering differences but that is kind of a good thing. I paid about 1/2 as much for the Denon as the Goldring 1042. And I always thought the Goldring did better than a lot of cartridges costing twice as much. Overall, extremely satisfying and I will definitely spend the next couple of weekends fine tuning the Denon set up. This was pretty much a good test to wet the whistle.