??? PET SOUNDS/Carl Wilson & the Passions SO TOUGH Question ???

rplace

OldBuck, I appreciate your original question it's just you needed a little more clarification for some[:)]

I'm also sure JB is just ribben' ya now but after looking at that fellow he goes perfect with you sig![:o]

Peace Out

If by JB you mean Jacksonbart, I know he is ribben' me, no problem there, he knows that. My problem is with all those old, out of context quotes, that had nothing to do with this thread. They were answers to responses on that other thread, and had no part of the question I asked here. If I bashed vinyl with that question, PLEASE point it out to me, I don't feel that I did in anyway. I don't deny writing those answers, but you should read the whole thread to see why I gave them, before attaching them to this thread, which was unfair.

As far as that old dude, I don't know how to make it show up under my name, or I probably would. I have more hair though, and I'm alot bigger, but I feel like him sometimes!!!!

• Moderators

With your equipment, why would you want a Mono record? Unless your a die hard Beach Boy collector, what is the point of Mono on such good equipment? I think it's a fair question.

Old Buck,

To answer your question, please let me quote from Mark Linett, (he originally mixed the Pet Sounds master tapes to stereo for first CD issue and most recently mixed the Pet Sounds master tapes into 5.1:

What's ironic about all of this is that in the '60s, when Brian was doing these records, he greatly preferred mono, to stereo even, because, philosophically, the idea that you work that hard on something and present it in mono there's no question of how it's supposed to sound. There isn't much a listener can do to alter what you've created. In stereo, there are all these other variables: How far apart are the speakers? Are they in phase? In addition, the main outlet for this music in 1966 was still mono AM radio, and that's what Brian mixed for."

So there you have it, Wilson did it in Mono so that no one would mess with his masterpiece. Bob Dylan did the same thing on a few albums after that and blew his stack when they were issued in "re-channeled" stereo. It makes a lot of sense to me that if Brian knew that most folks were going to here it for the first time on a.m. mono radio, that he wanted to be sure that they were hearing what he had intended.

So the real answer to your question is, the reason you would want the mono is that is the only version where you are listening to the music as the creator intended it to sound.

Anything else and you are listening to how an mastering engineer thinks it would sound the best.

Travis

DW, you da man and great answer[:)]

OldBuck, if you really want to use the old guy as your Avatar you can highlight him with a back drag and save him to your desktop and apply him just like your current Avatar I believe

I was able to save him this way to my desktop but I'm not planning on using him but it looks like it would work fine.

DW, you da man and great answer[:)]

OldBuck, if you really want to use the old guy as your Avatar you can highlight him with a back drag and save him to your desktop and apply him just like your current Avatar I believe

I was able to save him this way to my desktop but I'm not planning on using him but it looks like it would work fine.

Thanks for the info, I can't seem to do it, I'll ask my wife to help me, this damn computer stuff, not very good with it, but I do want to use the OLD GUY!!! Amazing to get an answer to the question without being dragged over the coals because you don't agree with others. Funny all the quotes, but no one quoted,"it doesn't matter vinyl or cd, it's the music that matters'', or "it's not the equipment, it's the music". Peace Bro.