LaScala playing it's heart out, outside

Coytee

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have a set, indeed, I didn't even know what they were called nor how they worked until I read about them on another website (I'm a cityboy moved to country). I wasn't expecting anyone to know what a feather was!! Then I realized the nuance of your name and figured out why you did.

Amazing to me how they did that so long ago. Holes are something like 3/4" wide drilled every 12/18 inches and wham... broke off a nice clean section.

I was MORE than tickled that we were able to drive Brutus (backhoe) up to the quarry and simply pick up these old rocks that were quarried we guess, 150 years ago. It didn't hurt either, that they cost all of NOTHING [:D]

Unfortunately, where the lake now sits, there is the old farmhouse and barn. My understanding is, these structures had the foundation rocks (similar to these squared boulders) still there when they put the lake in. Sometimes I wonder if it'd be possible to go get them even though they're 50' underwater.

Then I slap some common sense into myself!

As an aside on the backhoe, wife wouldn't 'let' me get a tractor with a loader bucket for about 3 years and I bugged and bugged and bugged her about how much help one would be.

Finally out of exasperation, she said "John (her brother) has one that he just bought at an auction...go ahead and get it" I don't think she realized just how big this thing was. I was bucking for a Kubota type/sized tractor. I JUMPED at chance on this thing.

Today as she looks back, she has eaten every single word she said about me NOT getting some diesel power. She realized how much work and money it has saved us by what we've gotten done.

I tried to tell her we could buy it, do the work and sell it for a $10,000 loss and STILL be cash ahead. Fortunately for me, 5 years later... I still have it.

As a second aside (and now I'm into rambling territory, so quit reading if you want)

I live on a VERY small road. Indeed, about 12' wide. Not enough room for two vehicles to easily pass. We get a LOT of pickup trucks out our way and it seems "size makes right" as they just plow down the road making others (folks living here) move out of their way. Most of these people are younger kids out playing.

Enter Brutus.

The running off the road has happened SOOOOOOOO many times that I'm frankly, over it. When I'm out on the backhoe, who's front bucket is 8' wide (remember, road is 12') if I come up to a truck I just stop...and wait... and wait...

They usually stop and wait. They FINALLY get a clue that this idiot on the backhoe is NOT going to get out of THEIR way and I force THEM into moving to the side of road, or backing up to one (of only a couple) areas where they can back into and move away.

I guess I turn into a real "prickamus maximus" at this point because I'm able to feed them their own crap. Of course, I smile and wave at them for them politely moving out of my way.

I was once moving a downed tree (I love it when I can pick up an entire tree [:D]) and some truck pulled up behind me. Well, I COULD have moved the tree & let him by. Since there are only 5 houses out here, I knew he didn't belong here so I didn't do it. He sat there for probably 8 minutes waiting for me to finish... ultimately, he backed up and left.

Yep... they've run my butt off the road once too many times and since their "size makes right" (them in truck, I was in Miata), now that I'm driving Brutus, seems size is on MY side and I can dish it out.

Ok, you were warned that I was heading into ramble mode.

[A]

• 4 months later...

It looks like all that hard work payed off. That must be absolutely rewarding to know you did all of that. Soon to be a carpenter, i would enjoy doing that kind of thing even though it's landscaping. I have an eye for what looks good and what doesn't, and that should definately be on the front cover of the top landscaping magazine or book. The pond and waterfall is well organized and so ornate. That makes me so anxious to do something like that around my house, perhaps on a smaller scale. I bet you saved many thousands doing that work between the two of you. Once again you should be very proud of that work, you and your wife. It's breathtaking. Also, out of all the heritage, i love the looks of the LaScala's the best. Whenever i can afford heritage, if i like the sound, which i'm sure i will, i would like to get a pair of these. Congrats on all of that beautiful work. [ip][:)]