List the Pre-1980s classics for me

damonrpayne

There's a double vote for Tender Mercies (it's from the early to mid eighties). I must've added it as oldbuckster was posting. Here are couple more:

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

Breakfast at Tiffanys

Koyaanisqatsi (80s, incredible film - be sure to see it if you haven't)

The Unbearable Lightness of Being (80s)

• Moderators

How about just some of Paul Newman's pre 80s classics:

Quintet - Sci Fi

Slap Shot

The Drowning Pool

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Cool Hand Luke

Harper

The Hustler

The Young Philadelphians

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Long Hot Summer

Don't forget Hud.

And I can't believe I forgot one of my all time favorites, The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich directed...Jeff Bridges, Cybill Shepard, Timothy Bottoms).

Another vote for Tender Mercies, although it's not really a pre-80s classic. Great movie.

"Big Broadcast of 1938", with one of my favorite tunes "Thanks for the Memory", starring W.C. Fields (Rodney Dangerfield molded his characters directly from him, his character in Caddyshack is identical to Fields in the intro to this movie), also stars Bob Hope. Brilliant Movie.

"A Place in the Sun", from 1951, one of the best movies ever made. Starring Montgommery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor (absolutely gorgeous and breathtaking in this).

These are 2 of my favorite movies. I love them so much I've even incorporated them and referenced them into my own screenplays.

Louis Malles "Elevator to the Gallows" is a brilliant French Noir film with a score that is done by Miles Davis soloing in the studio to the film, it really brings out the seclusion and lonliness of the female lead wandering through the city looking for her lost lover. Brilliant Film as well.

Also, any Hitchcock or Kubrick you're bound to see something good. Hitchcock's "Rear Window" is a stunning film, and spawned one of the better Simpson episodes (The one where Bart breaks his leg and thinks Flanders killed Maude) with one of the greatest Simpson lines ever "You're epidermis is showing".

Also, how has NO ONE made mention of "An Affair to Remember" One of the best love stories ever told. This was THE Titanic for 50 years before James Cameron came along and overdid it.