List the Pre-1980s classics for me

damonrpayne

So we just got Netflix, and one of my goals with so many movies at my disposal is to see the classics, the films in the early days of color and before the days of color that film critics are always comparing modern films to, that influenced modern directors, etc. Give me your input.

• Moderators

Hey Damon,

I recently jumped on blockbuster.com and have been doing the very same thing! I've really enjoyed seeing movies I'd always heard about, and never had a chance to see.

Some titles I've seen recently and would recommend:

Nashville--Robert Altman directed

Chinatown--Jack Nicholson, Faye Dunaway

The Third Man--Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten

Citizen Kane--Orson Welles

Days of Heaven--Sam Shepard, Richard Gere

Badlands--Martin Sheen, Sissy Spacek

Bonnie and Clyde--Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway

Taxi Driver--DeNiro

Apocolyse Now--Martin Sheen

Splendor in the Grass --Warren Beatty, Natalie Wood

Last Tango in Paris--Marlon Brando

Let me know if you want to hear my take on any of these! [:)] I've got many more that I want to see...and let me know what you come across!

Great Cinematography in -

The Sting

The Godfather - casts the early parts of the film in slight sepia tones and covers many scenes in a deep veil of shadow

And I agree with Amy - Bonnie and Clyde

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -- Academy Award for Cinematography

check out this Wikipedia page for Oscar nominees in this catagory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Cinematography

EDIT - Oh and I forgot Hitchcock, Hitchcock, and more Hitchcock

• Moderators

Hitchcock, definitely!! While there's many good ones to choose from, my favorite has always been Strangers on a Train.

One of the best movies of all time has got to be Godfather II.

• Moderators

Great Cinematography in -

check out this Wikipedia page for Oscar nominees in this catagory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Cinematography

You mention Cinematography specifically...I'm just curious if you've ever seen Days of Heaven? Has got to be one of the most beautifully shot movies I've ever seen. Just watched it last night.

No I haven't seen it ... the pile of movies to see along with the pile of books to read and music to listen to keeps growing. Three teenagers and their activities happily occupies most of the free time for my wife and I. Someday...

I mentioned Cinematography because the question was regarding color. I think quite often in really good film work the Cinematographer will have more to do with lighting and color than the director. Too often an underrated part of the film. For me the first movie that popped into my head was The Godfather, obviously a fantastic piece of work from every aspect, but I absolutley get sucked in by the warmth and feeling of the visuals. As well as Godfather II.

- Jim

A few more:

Casablanca

Gone with the Wind

It's a Wonderful Life

Wizard of Oz

On the waterfront

These are all pretty old, but great movies. I'm sorta new to the classics, but so far these are the ones I've liked. I didn't really care for some of the previous choices, Citizen Kane, Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, but I might've been in the wrong frame of mind when I saw them. Citizen Kane, though, I don't know, it's supposed to be the best movie of all time?? I just don't see it.

I've been using the AFI top 100 as a reference, although I'm sure there are hundreds of other great movies not on the list. Here's a link if you're interested: http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/movies.aspx

• Moderators

A few more:

Casablanca

Gone with the Wind

It's a Wonderful Life

Wizard of Oz

On the waterfront

These are all pretty old, but great movies. I'm sorta new to the classics, but so far these are the ones I've liked. I didn't really care for some of the previous choices, Citizen Kane, Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, but I might've been in the wrong frame of mind when I saw them. Citizen Kane, though, I don't know, it's supposed to be the best movie of all time?? I just don't see it.

All excellent choices!

Citizen Kane I watched twice in a row...the first time just a straight viewing, then a second time with commentary by Roger Ebert. His observations point out what ground-breaking techniques were used in the film, and made me appreciate it so much more. I think movies shouldn't make you "work" just to enjoy them, but sometimes the untrained movie buff (like myself) needs a little input to see what all the fuss is about! I did like the story, especially after reading about the man it was supposedly based on (William Randolf Hearst) and all the controvery that surrounded it. And Orson Welles was such a powerful screen presence...I really enjoy watching movies he was in.

Apocalypse Now is a triumph in mood and one of the first movies I can think of, along with The Deer Hunter, to portray the very dark side of war--not the Rah-Rah John Wayne type WWII movies... The darkness of it really hits a cord with me.

Taxi Driver is strange, and certainly not for everyone, but DeNiro alone is worth watching, not to mention the very young Jodie Foster. It's pretty evident from her role that she was going places.

Without consulting my watched movie data base here are a few suggestions.

Bridge over the River Kwai

The Great Escape

Barry Lyndon - best viewed on a RP or CRT T.V. due to black levels

2001 A Space Odessey

Dr Strangelove

Manchurian Canidate (the original)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

North By Northwest

Lawrence of Arabia

Das Boot

Ladri di biciclette

Here's one from 1955.

"Bad Day at Black Rock"

Starring Spencer Tracy, with Robert Ryan, Dean Jagger, Walter Brennan, Ernest Borgnine & Lee Marvin. Directed by John Sturges (The Great Escape).

One of my all time favorites.

James

The best black and white comedy ever was It Happened One Night with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. To give you an idea how old this movie is, its was seen as scandalous when she showed a little leg on the roadside to get a car to stop. Its darn funny throughout and Clark's performance is better than Gone With the Wind IMO.

And Gone With the Wind is sweeping and spectacular--

Also, the Birds by Alfred Hitchcock is classic horror suspense. Its so different than the horror of today -- much classier, and incredible suspense. The Omen is great horror too

Cool Hand Luke with Paul Newman is a great prison movie-the girl washing her car will get your attention.

Can't miss with these, too: The Sting, The Godfather, The Longest Yard -- the original, all the James Bond movies, 3 Days of the Condor, Westworld, Rollerball--the original. Animal House, the first Rocky, Rambo:First Blood, Annie Hall, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Midway, True Grit, McClintock, Jeremiah Johnson, the Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter--

• Moderators

Some that are in my queue that I haven't seen yet:

All About Eve

On the Waterfront

Sunset Boulevard

Night of the Hunter

Cape Fear (the original)

It Happened One Night

Midnight Cowboy

Manhattan

Don't forget the James Dean trio: East of Eden/Giant/Rebel without a Cause

For a start, in no particular order except that To Kill a Mockingbird is at the top of the list:

To Kill a Mockingbird (newly released anniversary edition)

In Harms Way

Patton

Any David Lean films (Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai)

The Wind and the Lion

Harold and Maude

Old Yeller

Downhill Racer

The Great Escape

Stalag 17

Twelve Angry Men

The Oxbow Incident

The Grapes of Wrath

Save the Tiger

Marathon Man

High Noon