X10 anyone?

BigBusa

I have a few of their products and am pretty impressed. I have one of the plug in modules that is controlled by the slimline gold wall switch. That's real handy because you can use the switch as a remote control instead of mounting it.

I also got one of their motion detector / vcr controller / color camera set ups because I had a few things stolen outside around my motorcycles. The motion detector senses motion and transmits an RF signal to the vcr controller which sends "on, record and stop" signals to the vcr. After 5 mins. of no motion being detected the vcr controller sends a stop recording signal to the vcr. This way I only record when there is movement in the vicinity I have chosen instead of recording constantly. The camera is useless at night though. I have to try one of those low lux models soon.

What have you guys got from x10 and how do yyou like it?

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

19?? Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Onkyo TX-DS787 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

I have X10 in several places in my house, but in the HT:

X10 appliance wall module to turn on my Aura Bass Shakers, my old Sony CD changer that doesn't have a remote power on, my NAD receiver that doesn't have remote anything, my Dolby Digital sign.

X10 dimmer switch to dim the wall sconces

X10 wall outlet for my Acurus amp

X10 IR converter to accept commands from my Pronto

All these activate at appropriate times from macro's in my Pronto remote. Fun stuff!

DD2

X10?? LOVE IT!!! I have light on dimmers and amps on plug in modules. I want to get the IR link and I found some neat little boards that will control an X10 module with the phone or doorbell rings. I am going to have a red flashing light for the phone and a blue one for the doorbell. Humm what else ok about about using the motion control cameras and IR codes to automatically switch your tv into PIP mode when the camera detects something.

Nothing beats the wow factor of hitting a button and having all the lights dim to the proper level and all the inputs automatically switch and DVD starts playing. Now all I need is a Pronto.

bu bye,

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

I use X-10 to control lights inside and outside. As far as controlling them, I just have a CM11A for now. Lights come on or go off at scheduled times, or when a motion detector is triggered. All the lights dim in the HT room with the push of a single button. Etc. I'll be going to a more sophisticated controller as soon as I have time. Pronto is on my list, too. I was thinking of Powermid to transmit signals from listening room to where equipment is housed. But I think I will just install a hardwired IR repeater for that.

Getting X-10 to work reliably in my case required eliminating noise sources (mostly 35 year old sockets that needed replacing anyway) and installing a repeater to get the signal reliably from the circuits on one leg of the power to the circuits on the other leg.

I recently saw an open box pronto on www.onecall.com It had no price on the website so I called. $700! He said it was a grand normaklly. Still a helluva lot for a remote control IMO. If you're looking they may still have it.

-bb

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

19?? Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Onkyo TX-DS787 (reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Yep, the TSU6000 with the color screen seems to be going for around $650-$700. I am thinking of something more like the monchrome TSU2000 which goes for less than half of that. Still a lot of money for a remote though. And its amazing what you can do with an X-10 PalmPad and a controller with a little intelligence. Thats why I haven't made the move yet. It doesn't have that sexy glowing screen with all the custom graphics. But so far it does what I need it to.