Setup procedures for speakers...a few questions

DrPyro

After spending our hard earned $$$, we all want to get the most out of our setup. I have done the following basic setup, but i still want to get more out of my system and looking for an "advanced" setup method.

Procedure used to setup a HT system

Basic Setup (Using SPL meter and the reciever's pink noise):

1.) Starting the test tones and reducing the level to -20dB (since this is near my normal listening level, and 0 dB is too loud)

2.) Pointing the SPL meter directly at each speaker from the listening position, adjust the level of each speaker to a common level for all speakers

a.) SPL meter set to WEIGHTING=C, RESPONSE=SLOW, RANGE=70 dB

b.) Range should be adjusted so that the indicator is in the middle of its range (maximum needle deflection should never be greater than +4)

c.) The RatShack meter is insensitive to low frequencies, so setting the level of the subwoofer the same as the other speakers will result in approximately +3 dB level.

** Question #1: At what level do most ppl set their subwoofers, (I realize this is a preference level...but i'm curious)**

However, room interaction and standing waves can be a major problem or can be used to enhance the speakers. So I'm looking for a method to remove frequency spikes.

This is the procedure i would like to use, since i don't have a frequency analyzer.

Advanced Setup:

1.) Using frequency ramping, measure the dB variations, and systematically move each speaker to minimize frequency spikes.

** Question #2: Which DVD setup disk (Avia or Video Essentials or other) contains this frequency ramp? Also Do any of the setup disks allow for changing of the ramp rate and DISPLAY the frequency which is currently being outputed? **

2.) Repeat #1 for each speaker, but most effort should be focused towards the Front Mains & Subwoofer.

** More questions....

Is there any other setup that I'm forgetting ???

What additional features are ACTUALLY useful on the AVIA or Video Essentials DVDs??

Sorry for the long post & thanks for the input....

DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

The AVIA disk has a frequency sweep for each speaker that starts at about 200hz and drops to about 20hz. It will work out the bass management in your system, too, as it crosses over to the sub. It displays the frequency as it drops. You can watch the SPL meter as the sweep occurs to see which frequencies are "spiking" or dropping. As far as fixing them, that can be a rat's nest.

There are also other frequency disks that just have test tones. I think Stereophile has some on their web site.

Avia has a great video calibration procedure on it.

DD2

darn work..keeps me from tweeking...

However, I have access to a sine frequency generator, I'm thinking that i could use this to get a more accuarate map of my room acoustics. The idea is to imput the output of the freq generator into my Denon Phono input and let the reciever handle the "base management". It should port the signal to the sub or mains (depentent on the freq.). However, what amplitude voltage should i use of the freq generator?....don't want to damage my reciever!

John-

What difference would it make to angle the SPL to 45 degres?

-DrPyro

------------------

Receiver: Denon AVR-3801

DVD: Denon DVD-1000

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RS-3's

Center: RC-3

SubW: KSW-12

I think if you check the Denon owner's manual, it usually lists voltage ranges for line level inputs/outputs.

Answering for John on the 45 degree angle -- the reason you don't point the SPL meter directly at the speakers is because that is not how your ears operate. Your eardrum is at an angle to the speakers (unless you wear them like headphones Smile.gif), so angling the mic of the SPL meter more closely approximates the effect of your ear. I aim mine straight up, and let the sound wash over it, like it would wash over my ears (and Mom always said to wash behind your ears, right?).

Doug

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 11-06-2001 at 01:49 PM

i do alot of calibration on service calls/installs and am excited to know the avia disc displayes frequency during the sweep.i was using a dts audio cd's frequency sweep and the thx optimizer section of some dvds and thought a freq.graph or display would be handy...got to get it, thanks! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

My favorite part of the Avia disk is the warm sensation I get when my wife looks at me with "that look" while I've got one eye closed and am peering through the red colored gel sheet while calibrating the video. But, hey, there will be people here today who paint themselves purple for the parade to celebrate the D'Backs Series win, so I could be worse...

DD2