Woodworkers...question on how to mount tophat to wall?

Coytee

My reality forces me to use my LaScalas as my mains and Khorns as my rears.

I'm buying an empty LaScala cabinet for my center channel, it (they) will be buried INSIDE the wall so it will be out of sight other than a covered hole in wall for bass output.

I'm going to be doing Al's Trachorn swap with my Khorns so I'll have that top section "extra" when I put his in.

It is from one of these, that I'm getting the 401 and K-77 for my LaScala.

I got to thinking though, what if I removed the center section (similar to the picture), "boxed" it up somehow and mounted it ABOVE my screen with the K55/K77 installed in it, leaving only an empty LaScala bass bin playing below the screen.

I could let the horn go through the studs and hide inside the same closet that is hiding my LaScalas. This would look almost like a flush mounted speaker, other than the 2" or so extension from the sides. This however, would give me a gap on the top and bottom that I'd like to hide, not to mention also, I might need some reinforcing to hold the weight of the horn & driver hanging out on the back.

Just wondering how I'd attach this piece to the wall and what might be the best way to box it in so it will pass the "WAF" test.

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated

(picture stolen from Al's site without his knowledge nor approval)

post-15072-13819297968262_thumb.jpg

since i was thinking about doing something simular, asked my wife for input, and the response I got was startiling.....she said no problem putting that in the wall if you can put a nice piece of molding around it and chang that ugly black cloth to a nice cloth picture that matches the living room.

keep us posted on your final solution.

I have been contemplateing doing the same thing to my center Belle . By detatching the top and installing a shelf on the bass bin I can lower the hight on my tv by almost 10" . My plan is to suspend a shelf anchored to the support beams just above my tv for the top hat . I am really intruiged by this idea .

post-18289-13819298279948_thumb.jpg

Sunburn - I have a Sammy also (Tantus style). Whoo! your TV is high!

Coytee - It so pains me you are not working out a way to get the khorns as your mains instead of rears. I'd love to see you put your foot down on this one. Would be such a huge difference.