HSU Subs

J Tanman

J Tanman,

I may be on "medication" like TV says but...

I would pick SVS over HSU every day(even if TV likes to duke it out "quote" style. cwm1.gif

WHY

SVS uses better quality bass drivers.Both share cylinder cabinets,all ported.Slave and powered configurations.For the dollar SVS is a superb buy,for music and HT.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear,

You are getting a little chippy again; let us respect the folks that fund our pursuits with far less cash flow than you can muster.

The HSU VTF-2 sub as I remember is $ 499; I do not think you can do SVS(plus power) in that price range.

I have never read a poor review of an HSU sub. HSU appears to be a reasonable value with some spl limitations at lower frequencies.

Flynn,

I may sound harsh again,I know.I dont claim HSU subs are not good.Fact is HSU subs are great for the money.

Dr Hsu knows about subs,I respect HSU.

And HSU subs compare very well to SVS,both use similar ways to achieve great bass for less.The cylinder shape(the cabinet costs less)and the cabinets are very inert(no audible distortion caused by the cabinets).

Simply SVS uses better bass drivers(woofers for the rest).I like to have a meen street sub woofa in the sub.This also why I like Sunfire,Velodyne and company.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

>>>The HSU VTF-2 sub as I remember is $ 499; I do not think you can do SVS(plus power) in that price range.<<<

Well, not with the amp built in. But the same amp on the VTF-2 is available for about $80(?) at apex. Match that with a 25-31cs and that's actually $50 less than the VTF-2. Of course it might take you 10 minutes to knock together a little box to set the amp in and place it behind the sub too. But stepping up to a 12" driver and almost 2x the port flow capability(compared to the HSU's max extension mode) might make it worth the trouble to some? There's also the 250w $125 amp at PE now. So for about the same price as the VTF-2, you could have a 25-31cs with 250w and all the usual subwoofer related amp features(auto-on,crossover knob,ect).

TV