Boston Patricians with EV 18WKs!

http://boston.craigslist.org/ele/162795186.html

Folded bass bins only with the luscious Electrovoice 18WK 18 inchers. Ooh, ooh, owww.

You would not need a sub with these!! They are the most commanding, musical, and controlled vintage basshorns I have ever heard. The Bozak concert grands put out more bass, but the 18WKs are the cat's meow, in my book.

Wish I lived in Boston.

is it practice not to include photo's. wonder if these are patrician IV's, and all the drivers are present.? there are many types of patrician 4's out there....factory built, factory provided unassembled parts in kit form, cabs made from stock using the ev plans from raw wood. 1000.00 for a set of factory built or a factory cut kit would be an excellet deal if the system was complete.

As the ad states, the 18WK woofers only, no other drivers. As EVguy noted, the 18WKs ALONE are worth the asking price.

A fully stocked set of Patricians with 18WK woofers, the mid driver, T35 and T350 will go for $3-6K any day of the week, so saying $1K is a good day maker is a slight understatement.[:o] They had the best Klipsch design with the best EV components.

The ad also has the seller's phone #, and most guys selling this stuff are brutally honest 'bout what they have. If I had a spare set of corners, three less sets of speakers, and good weather, my first set of vintage Electrovoices would be home in three days, no matter what type of cabinets. They are that good...

so I take it these are bottom sections, no tops, no xovers, no mids, no tweeters...I retract my statement that they are good score at 1000.00, I'll down grade to fair.

I recall seeling a set of bottom sections going for 550.00 or so on ebay in the last 30 days. well, one was a patrician IV cab made from plans using the home cut stock option, the other cab was an actual Klipsch unfinshed version...klipsch label and everything...included a set of 2 k-400 horns and drivers....two t-35's....xovers may have been A's but I think they may have been B&K....drivers in cabs were original.....no tops...the start of a grill. yeah I sure it was 550, maybe 600 tops.

I also saw two instances of the patrician IV mid drivers and horn sold as seperate items in two different auctions, each sold for about 55 bucks...yes they worked.

t-35's...i have bough as cheap as 55 dollars a pair..working..good looks...on numerous occasions..not isolated cases...matter of fact...i bought 2 k-55 drivers, two belle horns, two t-35 tweeters for 139.00 in the last 60 days. Also bought 2 k-55 drivers mounted on two horns that were bigger than belle horns but smaller than k-400's (chrome framed, black metal, made by atlas) for 55.00

t-350's.....seen two instances of single drivers sold for 150.00 or less...seen a pair for 350 or less...all in the last 30 days.

the 18wk driver...have not followed it....may be a valuable item for a collector, but so is the 30W (the 30" woofer), are we confusing the 18WK for a EV 30W?

The Patrician IV uses 2 mid-bass drivers which are nothing more than an 828 driver on the long black phenolic horn, then a T25A mid range driver on a 6HD horn and a T350 tweeter. The 6HD horns are very rare. A pair just sold on eBay for $285 and that was the first pair I've seen in quite some time. The tricky part is that all these horns need to be mounted inside a 200 hz wooden horn that sits on top of the bass bin. If you have the plans to build one, it's not hard to do, I did mine. Without that horn, you will not have any mid-bass from 200 to 600. The crossover that came with a Patrician IV was an X2635 which sell for over $500 if they ever come up for sale. I had Bob make me a pair using original schematics. Made a huge difference in sound.

The 18WK is what's worth the big money because they were only used in this cabinet, no others, and they never sold all that many of them. The 30W is much easier to find but goes for more because of the uniqueness of it, certainly not for the sound quality.

At $1000.00, they are a good score for the value of the woofers and the bass bins even if they are the utility version. You can take the bass bins, and from them, create a beautiful speaker by building the 200hz horn, and buying all the components on ebay except for the crossovers which I recommend getting from Bob along with Bob's tweeters instead of the T350. Bob's sound better IMO. The hardest pieces to find will be the 18WK's and the 6HD mid range horns.

that sounds reasonable...i've seen plent of 18wk's on ebay but never followed them...perhaps I let a few good deals slip away.

ps

I tried to upload section 1 of the 4 section patrician IV assembly manual and I also tried to upload the consolidated patrician assebly manual but it would not upload...perhaps it is too big...it has excellent details on the construction cut out, and assembly proceedure for both the 200hz horn and the entire patrician IV as well as a good discussion of the 4 types of ways of getting a patrician IV and some construction tips.

I'll try again later.